Does an Intermotor 75213 thermostat fit a Rover V8?

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Darkspeed wrote:
Denis247 wrote:
Darkspeed wrote:
Denis247 wrote:
Darkspeed wrote:I always run Mini summer 74 degree stats in mine.
Do you drill a hole in it?
Depends on if I think its needed really so many different applications.
Well I assumed you were talking about your Rover engine when you said "in mine".
I have had quite a few and they have had different manifolds and cooling layouts and in every engine that I have owned (mine) I use 74's and sometimes I will drill a hole and sometimes not depending on the manifold type and the colling system installation.
:whs But what ever you do dont run an engine too cool and dont remove the stat all together on a street engine, like mentioned already I like the constant bleed through the stat small hole etc rather than the stat opening like an off valve with a sudden rush and thus massive temperature fluctuation :?

TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

At the end of the day the stat only really maintains the minimum engine operating temperature - once it's fully open it has no effect on the cooling capacity or effectiveness of the colling system apart from providing a flow restriction that ensures that the heads and block are at system pressure + pump head created by the stat restriction.

The final operating temperature of the engine is determined by the efficiency of the radiator and the heat transfer fluid.

A 74 C stat just means thats the lowest temperature the engine will operate at - although the mean engine temperature will likley be 69 or so assuming a 10 degree differential between the pump inlet temp.

If the cooling system and rad design have been chosen correctly there will be a maximum design temperature based on the typical highest ambient temperature - For example a 40C air temperature and maximum engine load at only the engine cooling fan air speed.

It may have been determined that a maximum allowable temperature under those conditions would be "X" say 110C and the system design based around that criteria. probably always trying to keep the inlet to the pump at a condition to prevent cavitation.

So if you put a 74C stat in and the engine runs at 88C when its 10C outside and you are doing 60mph then the chances are the cooling system is not all it could be.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Return to “Cooling Area”