Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

water pump pulley belt contact

Post by Seight-V8 »

hello all,

another question on my mind.

How much belt contact do you really need to drive the rover v8 water pump correctly.

I have the serp front cover on my v8 in a westfield, but the belt arrangement doesn't leave much belt contact to drive the water pump.

Just wondering if I should fit an idle pulley to make better belt contact for the water pump.

I recon at the moment the belt drive the pulley with less than 25% of the diameter of the water pump pulley.

cheers

scott

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Hi Scott, yes and exactly the same as mine was. See 'lesson in oils' post and my woes of cooling. When I added an idle wheel to make the contact 50+% I'm sure it made a difference even though I could not see a shiny belt, I'm now sure it was slipping and thus not pumping enough water around.

(For those keeping up with my saga, I hope to be able to get out for a very long test this Tuesday. Cannot believe I've done about 250 miles this year - just so many things get in the way.)
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

How much belt contact do you really need to drive the rover v8 water pump correctly.
Impossible question really as there are so many variables between different engines and it is directly linked to the belt tension and friction coefficient.
All you really say is that the less belt contact you have the higher belt tension you need to transmit the same power.
They sell knurled versions of the standard serp water pump so presumably some people think even with the standard belt arrangement it could be marginal?
Most water pump pulleys you see of other V8 engines have nearly 180deg contact.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Think it matters if you have a mechanical fan too - that can take quite a bit of power.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Seight-V8 »

I've done some reading up on this, and some info I found says you should have more the 60deg of belt contact, but like its been said, it is a hard one to work out.

I think personally I would like more belt contact, so will see if I can rig up an extra pulley somewhere...

I do have a spare alternator pulley, so maybe I can make a spare idle pulley from this, to give to more belt contact, but the space I have is very small.

regards

scott

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

In the old days
V belt
Three pulleys, crank, water pump alternator
About evenly spaced so 120 degrees each.

A v belt used to be said was able to transfer 5 hp in this way

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Cooling Area”