MG v8 conversion thermostat housing 'steam hose'

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

MG v8 conversion thermostat housing 'steam hose'

Post by ratwing »

I've been looking for one that points the top hose forwards instead of up to get rid of the air trapping curve the p6 one gives, I think this is what I want.
It says he brass pipe is for the 'steam hose' - what's that?
http://mgbhive.co.uk/wp-content/uploads ... 505916.jpg

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

There's one available from a company in, I think, Farnham as I bought one. Am on holiday at moment but will try to get name on return for you next week. See my post pictures in 'lesson in oils' for what it looks like. Could be in Farnborough and seem to remember he had a link with Costello V8s. Really helpful guy.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

That'll be Dave Vale at V8 conversions in Farnborough, it was the first place I tried but he doesn't do them any more.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: MG v8 conversion thermostat housing 'steam hose'

Post by unstable load »

ratwing wrote:I've been looking for one that points the top hose forwards instead of up to get rid of the air trapping curve the p6 one gives, I think this is what I want.
It says he brass pipe is for the 'steam hose' - what's that?
http://mgbhive.co.uk/wp-content/uploads ... 505916.jpg
I think he is misnaming it.
I'd call it an air bleed-off line to remove any air that comes out of the engine before it gets into the radiator and I would T it into the line from the radiator to the header tank, so that both engine and header are able to bleed off any air to the header.
Cheers,
John

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Are you after a thermostat housing with a different outlet angle?
If you know a ali welder it's quite a simple job to just cut the pipe off and re-weld at what ever angle suites your install.
The small pipe is a vent/bleed pipe which normally goes from a high point in the cooling system to the top of your header tank, fitting a small tee hose in the top hose would do the same job.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Like Tom says, you could always fit one of these in the top hose at the highest point...
http://easybleeder.com/
Cheers,
John

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

Cheers for the replies guys, I'd thought about cutting & rewelding but it'd probably cost me something not far off the cost of the mgbhive one so that's what I bought.
Armed with a sack of assorted rubber hoses I took the old one off, put the new one on and was pleasantly surprised to find I could even use the original hoses which now all slope gently upwards.

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

Could you post some photos please?

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

Pic as requested - I've got the 'steam pipe' blocked off at the moment, still need to plumb in this and the manifold tower bleed somewhere.
The hose now runs slightly uphill all the way, previously it went over the top of the distributor and then down towards the rad inlet.

Return to “Cooling Area”