Intermediate front cover, heater connections.

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Intermediate front cover, heater connections.

Post by jenand40 »

Decided to fit the intermediate front timing cover to my Rover v8 that I have had hanging around for years.
Thought that I had sorted everything out, but not the heater water connections.
I have a JW Racing twin port inlet manifold that has a short stub at the rear, that goes to one of the heater connections. That leaves me with a short stub on the thermostat housing, that I believe I have to connect to the water pump via a new connection drilled/tapped on the flat of the water pump.
But where does the other heater connection go?
As usual, any help/advice appreciated.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The other heater connection (the heater return) goes somehow into the bottom hose. Usually there is a way in either on the back of the water pump, or a 't' on the inlet from the bottom hose. Depends on the timing cover.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Richard P6 »

Mine goes in to the bottom hose, well into a 't' on the water pump.

This is a P6 water pump though.

Richard

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Post by jenand40 »

Thank you for your replies.
The serpentine intermediate cover does not have a heater connection stub on the back.
What i have decided to do, after looking at a cooling flow diagram, is to blank off the stub on the thermostat housing and tee into the bottom hose.
So my heater water supply is now, fed from the rear of the inlet manifold, through the heater and then back to the new bottom hose connection on the return side of the water pump.
I will update this thread, for future reference, with the results, when a get the engine running.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Hi, You may find that the thermostat will be late to open if you have blanked the stub on the thermostat housing. This is because the hot coolant exiting the heads will flow to the rear of the manifold and the thermostat will not feel the heat. When I did it on my engine, after 4/5 minutes warming up, it nearly boiled before the thermostat opened and any air/steam trapped near the back of the thermostat makes things worst.
Occasionally it did boil.

I would put a tee into the pipe which runs between the heater outlet and water pump, and then connect the thermostat housing stub to the tee.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

Post by jenand40 »

DEVONMAN, Thank you for your suggestion, i will take your advice and "T" the thermostat housing stub into the bottom hose/return from heater, as you suggest.

Another question i have, does it matter which way round the heater is connected? ie. supply to the top or bottom?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I think I supplied to the bottom and exited from the top, thinking that would purge the air best.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Cooling Area”