Yellow stuff pads

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Yellow stuff pads

Post by gelmonkey »

Having had a set of Wilwood Superlight calipers and pads on my wagon for the past 7 1/2 seasons I found out that I had worn the disc (brand new at time of caliper and pad fitting ) beacuse the pad was to hard (so the man at EBC said )so I ordered a new set of mentholated discs and some new Yellow Stuff pads.
Hmmmm,
Took the car out tonight to try them and before you all start yelling at me I know they are not bed in yet but man they squeal like a pig and yes copperslip applied sparingly but the pedal goes much further down and I feel that they are worse than before although there is now no evidence of wobble when brakes applied.
Have read on some other Forums although not a patch on this one and most folk say Yellow Stuff are SH!T.
Anyone got any thoughts and recommends ?
Need to sort this by Thursday as off to Wings and Wheels at Dunsfold this Friday for the weekend event there and brakes are a good thing to have methinks for the journey and the fun at the airfield.

Anyone?
P

Prophead
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Prophead »

I can highly recommend Mintex Performance 1144 pads, best run with grooved disks but not essential. I have been staggered by the stopping power from high speed.they are quite dusty though.
Last edited by Prophead on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Porsche 924 GTv8 Track-day car project
Porsche 944 2.5 Lux gone but not forgotten

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Paul

Not tried these myself but take a look at Ferodo DS2500 . Not cheap but think they are well regarded

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Thanks guys
Always good to get proper opinions from real world people
Cheers
P

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

I run the green stuff pads in. Mine and no problems at all mate
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

COOPS!!!
Where you been mate?
How you doing?
Kind of overlooked my promotion from Ged didnt ya.
See Monkey Business page 16 if you feel like it.
With regard to pads am going to give them a go over the weekend and will see how I feel about them after a good thrashing.
Not holding my breath though and Frodo pads may be my next choice as Reg and other folk on other forums have said they are good but dusty.
Dont care about dust do care about stopping fast if I need to.

cheers
P

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

I have been tracking my V8 MGB for 15 years now and use wildwood superlite calipers. I have tried many types of pad with interesting results.
The best pads by a huge margin I find are Carbotec XP8 / XP10 very expensive but worth every penny. They work from cold with consistent performance time and time again and last too.
One of the worst I found was greenstuff, OK on the road but cant handle high temps.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

mgbloke wrote:I have been tracking my V8 MGB for 15 years now and use wildwood superlite calipers. I have tried many types of pad with interesting results.
The best pads by a huge margin I find are Carbotec XP8 / XP10 very expensive but worth every penny. They work from cold with consistent performance time and time again and last too.
One of the worst I found was greenstuff, OK on the road but cant handle high temps.[/quote

As I do almost all roadstuff how do you feel about them for just that and the infrequent blast down the strip ?
When you say expensive what would I be looking at roughly £150?
£200?
Thank you
Cheers
P

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

What's the actual application and usage ?

The Mintex have been around a long time and are pretty good.

I'm using Carbon Lorraine now, and they work better hot/cold than any other stuff I've used, they put DS2500's to shame.

A lot of aggressive pads will eat discs though
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

gelmonkey wrote:COOPS!!!
Where you been mate?
How you doing?
Kind of overlooked my promotion from Ged didnt ya.
See Monkey Business page 16 if you feel like it.
With regard to pads am going to give them a go over the weekend and will see how I feel about them after a good thrashing.
Not holding my breath though and Frodo pads may be my next choice as Reg and other folk on other forums have said they are good but dusty.
Dont care about dust do care about stopping fast if I need to.

cheers
P
Yup I'm still about mate and been watching the forum in the background, not been posting as had no news to post about so just been reading everybody else's news etc, while ive been busy sorting engine options,
I did see the post from Ged :lol: :wink:

Others rate, others hate the green stuff I can only go by my own experience,
they stop mine ok on the road and the drag strip so that's all that matters for me lol, my car is lightened though don't forget,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

I am going to look at the Carbon Lorraine pads as after this weekend at Wings and Wheels I am still not impressed with the Yellow Stuff pads.
They have been fully bed in now and still dont feel that good in fact if anything they feel a bit vague coming down from high speed.
As already mentioned I do mostly road usage and the odd and infrequent blast down a strip.
These things are shockingly dusty as well.
Does anyone else have an opinion?

P

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Mr Monkey
How fast were you going before throwing out the anchor?

I like the wings and wheels runway but the Armco at the end comes up fast!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Ian
Anchor out at 120+mph and yes they do slow me down BUT not quick enough in my opinion.

P

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

The thing with brakes....assuming they dont fade, most brakes have more "brake" available than your tyre has grip.

ie...presumably if you stand hard enough the wheels will lock ?

Therefore...the brakes can stop faster...it's just about finding that balance of how hard you can push before they lock.

If you're just using normal road discs, the Mintex 1144 or 1155 pads would probably be worth a try. Or some CL RS5's although these will be a little harder on the discs.

But using very aggressive pads on soft road discs...can make things worse and eat the discs in no time actually causing more heat.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Steve
I have 225 50 15 tyres at the front end and to the best of my fading memory dont ever recall locking the brakes up.
I do leave plenty of space between myself and the next car as much as possible so as to not have to emergency brake although that has to be done sometimes obviously.
I have used Mintex pads in the past and found them to be very good and am wondering if I am expecting too much from what is supposed to be a better option.
p

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”