Yellow stuff pads

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Generically saying one is better than another is difficult.

They may be better...when used in conjunction with the right discs...and for the right style of driving.
If only modest road use, and road discs...then plain old greens may well be better

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

The is a lot of marketing BS with brake pads, before I knew much about brake pads (i'm a brake pad engineer now) I brought some redstuff pads, (reading the flashy marketing BS) fitted them and thought they were terrible, which they were for my application and usage (light car used mainly on the road) they needed some heat before the friction coefficient was reasonable but on a light road car you are not going to get any heat into them.
Citicut racing/track days are a completely different requirement to road or drag racing.
If it was me I would look at using either Pagid, Mintex or Ferodo (not their aftermarket stuff - I don't work for any of these brands) and ask one of their engineers which material they recommend for your vehicle/weight/driving.

Your soft pedal was probably because the pads weren't bedded in, this is an important step with any brake friction material.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Tom
Thanks for this info and to everyone who has responded.
The pads are now fully bed in as I have said earlier but in my opinion are still shocking.
I have literally just come in from the garage and have noticed that my wheels are almost black with dust.
I drove home from Dunsfold to Plymouth and cannot believe the state of my wheels.
Whilst it proves to me that the pads are working at this rate I will need some new ones again by the time I get to the top of my drive :shock:

Can I pm you ?

cheers
P

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Yes, you can PM me.
Brake dust is also made up of brake disc material which is worn away by more aggressive friction material. I my experience brake dust does tend to reduce once the pads are fully bedded in, can't comment on the yellow stuff though?
One thought; are you pads R90 approved? I not they are illegal to drive on the road in Europe.
What's the brake pad shape/dimensions? Not every brake pad type is available in all friction materials, so you might find a perfect friction material for you which is not available in your brake!

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”