Bias pedal box setup question

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Bias pedal box setup question

Post by chodjinn »

Need a bit of advice for the best setup for my brake system.

I've go a bias pedal box with twin cylinders and bias bar. I've also got an AP racing lever type brake bias valve.

The plan was to fit the bias valve in the rear brake line (seen this plenty of times).

However, I currently don't have one of those twisty-knob type things for adjusting the bias bar in the pedal box (and would rather not tbh). So I'm a bit worried about not being able to adjust my front brake bias while out on track.

So was just wondering what my options are? Should I fit the valve in the front brake circuit, or buy another so I can adjust both f&r?

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Putting a bias valve in the front line seems illogical and wrong to me.

The racing brain in your foot should have full control over the front brakes to deals with different situations and surfaces and putting a valve in the front line will take that control away and will limit (depending on the setting)the max line pressure to the front.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

DEVONMAN wrote:Putting a bias valve in the front line seems illogical and wrong to me.

The racing brain in your foot should have full control over the front brakes to deals with different situations and surfaces and putting a valve in the front line will take that control away and will limit (depending on the setting)the max line pressure to the front.
So I would be better sticking with my original plan of plumbing the bias valve into the rear lines.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Putting the limiting valve on the front brakes circuit should not be done.
The only time when in theory you could use in the front brake system would be if your rear brakes are so weedy and you need to limit the front brake power but really if this was the case you should be upgrading the rear brakes.
The whole idea to balance bars is to adjust the brake bias so the front wheels would lock slightly before the rears lock which is safer than having the rears lock first. This can be done with either a balance bar linking front and rear cylinders to change the ratio of front to rear braking, or with a valve in the rear line to restrict the rear braking.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”