Drop knuckles / Front ARB / Suspension for track/race R32

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Drop knuckles / Front ARB / Suspension for track/race R32

Post by chodjinn »

I have a '91 R32 Skyline GTS which I am building for track/race use. Not road legal.

It is getting a lightweight all-alloy V8 (1UZFE) and has a Macpherson strut conversion at the front.

The front setup is currently coilovers, extended lower arms/tension rods with Tein steering rods, and a set of Driftworks Geomasters to give me -50mm drop.

I have an adjustable ARB to go on there as well.

I have an opportunity to buy a full Wisefab front kit. I realize this is drift orientated, but it has -60mm drop spindles and a significant weight reduction in unsprung mass (which is what I am mainly interested in)

The problem/question is, you cannot run a front ARB with this setup. Now, with the drop provided by the drop spindles there is less need to run increased stiffness at the front. And combined with the lighter engine I have, I was wondering if I could get away without running an ARB, or is this just not a good idea for an entirely track orientated car. I can obviously fit higher rate springs to the coilies if that would help.

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Don't worry about it, decided to stick with what I have and run an ARB.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

End of the day, ARB's are partly chassis tuning, and to allow cars to run softer springs for more compliance, but still retain some control over body roll.

If you had mega stiff springs, cant see it making much odds...if you had really soft springs, it'd probably make more of a difference.

Until you drive it and see how it handles, there's really no way to say what will or wont be needed.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

stevieturbo wrote:End of the day, ARB's are partly chassis tuning, and to allow cars to run softer springs for more compliance, but still retain some control over body roll.

If you had mega stiff springs, cant see it making much odds...if you had really soft springs, it'd probably make more of a difference.

Until you drive it and see how it handles, there's really no way to say what will or wont be needed.
True. This was one of those things where I had an opportunity, but in the end I may as well stick with what I have. I already have an adjustable ARB anyway - it should fit with the sump/engine I am using, so will use that and see how it goes!

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”