Restoring/rebuilding old brake calipers

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Restoring/rebuilding old brake calipers

Post by chodjinn »

Hi, I'd like a bit of advice as the best way to go about restoring and rebuilding my brake calipers.

I've got a set of Jag xjs 4-pots on the front, good condition but need repainting, and some Sierra Cosworth rear calipers (with cable handbrake) on the rear, in a bit worse condition but salvageable.

I had planned on taking them all off, stripping them, getting them blasted and then coating them with some nice caliper paint. I've foudn the relevant rebuild kits on ebay and they aren't extortionate so I thought I'd give it a go myself.

Is that a good enough plan, or does anyone have any advice for doing it differently (stripping, painting, rebuilding etc!)

Advice appreciated as ever!

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

If the XJS ones are like the 4 pot on my SD1, the most likely thing to need replacing is the pistons which are chrome plated, and this lifts due to rust. Stainless steel ones are available, but costly.

I'm not sure I get them blasted - would be worried about damage to the bore. I'd just wire brush them, treat with a decent rust remover, and paint. It's not as if you'll ever get a perfect finish on them.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

DaveEFI wrote:If the XJS ones are like the 4 pot on my SD1, the most likely thing to need replacing is the pistons which are chrome plated, and this lifts due to rust. Stainless steel ones are available, but costly.

I'm not sure I get them blasted - would be worried about damage to the bore. I'd just wire brush them, treat with a decent rust remover, and paint. It's not as if you'll ever get a perfect finish on them.
No probs giving that a try then. Any reccomendations for rust remover or paint? I'd like them to be red, if that helps lol!

I'm pretty sure they are Jag xjs and not SD1, they look like this I think, need to get proper pics at some point;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJ6-XJ ... 4607b4063f

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i blasted my brembo 4 pots, and are working fine mate,
blank the threaded brake ports off with bleed nipples.
where the pistons go thinners that area off stick some masking tape over that area to stop grit getting into the piston bores, then go over the masking tape with tank tape, the grit bounces off the tank tape,
once done clean with compressed air,

i use a good high temp etch primer then smoothrite paint,

Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

thanks Tony, how much did your blasting cost?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I have XJS front brakes on my SD1, and the design appears to be much the same as the originals, but bigger.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I did a test on my garden railings half black Smoothrite, half Wicks black gloss. The Wicks lasted better. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

blasting was free mate,
i used Caprisports blaster one saturday :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

DaveEFI wrote:I did a test on my garden railings half black Smoothrite, half Wicks black gloss. The Wicks lasted better. :D
Haha cool, except I'm sure the railings didn't see the temps brake calipers do!

Looks like I might end up getting them blasted, there's a place not far from me that might be able to do it.

cheers

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

I painted my calipers with smoothrite, it was still on the calipers when I sold the car 6 years later, not a mark on it, and I did drive my cortina quite hard, there are a few people on here who will testify to that!!!!! :lol:
There is a company thats been about a few years offering exchange rebuilds, never heard anything bad about them,
http://www.biggred.co.uk/
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Blasting is fine just do it before you split them or remove the pistons and bleed nipple. Your back ones are the ones that are going to be a pain. Usually the handbrake mech is the first part to screw up on these. Might be worth your while seeing how much recon ones cost for these. Generally you can get a pair for not huge money after you hand your ones back but the cossy ones might be different. Last ones I did were focus ones and were £42 each after cashback. The cossy ones are pretty much the same but because they are cossy are probably twice the price :?

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

How about blasting with bicarbonate of soda?
Ir will remove paint etc but takes a bit longer
It then totally dissolves in water

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Wards do caliper build kits with new pistons, often works out cheaper, they do exchange at a resonnable price to
http://www.ward-engineering.co.uk/
So thats where it went !

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

I did mine myself and was not impressed after a few years so went to Bigg Red. Worth it IMHO.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Thanks for your help guys, I've priced it all up now.

I found a local guy who would blast the calipers £10 each.
Then rebuild kits are around £20-30.
And two lots of high temp paint (primer, top coat).

Exchange calipers are around £75 each, so I'm probably going to do that, for a few extra quid may as well!

cheers!

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”