REMOTE SERVO

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

koopsterman
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

REMOTE SERVO

Post by koopsterman »

I have seen a car with the brake servo under the front seat, and would like to go that route myself, can anyone shed any light on the maximum distance it can be from the manifold,pipe diameter etc.
Regards
koopsterman

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: REMOTE SERVO

Post by DEVONMAN »

koopsterman wrote:I have seen a car with the brake servo under the front seat, and would like to go that route myself, can anyone shed any light on the maximum distance it can be from the manifold,pipe diameter etc.
Regards
koopsterman
The distance is not that important, the servo could be placed in the boot if necessary. The diameter of the pipe should be 10 mm minimum or to match the size at the vacuum valve on the servo.
In normal use the servo canister has vacuum on both sides of the diaphragm and when you push the pedal, air is allowed in to one side of the diaphragm and it's actually atmospheric air pressure that assists the brakes.
If you also put a non-return valve at the manifold, then the pipe will act as a small resevoir of vacuum and give you more pedal pumps even if your engine dies or stalls.

Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

As Dennis says and in addition, try and use rigid pipe and proper vacuum pipe at the ends for most of it's length to prevent the pipe collapsing and giving no vacuum.
So thats where it went !

koopsterman
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by koopsterman »

Thanks guys, thats just what I wanted to hear, I will push on with that idea now,by the way,it will be going in a Devon pick-up.
Koopsterman

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Why?

with a properly sized system there is no need to have boosters

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

In case you did not know, Staffordshire Vehicle Components sell a remote servo.
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/dual-remote-servo/
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Ill go with Mr Andersons comment, WHY??? do you need a servo, I have never run a servo on a modified car, my last car ran 330 discs with 4pots on the front and discs on the rear, stopped on a sixpence with no drama, and no leg like Arnie Schwarzenegger it Just stopped. I never had a servo on my devon either,
At the end of the day, a servo will not give you better brakes, it will only lessen pedal pressure, and lessen feel from the pedal, From my perspective, with a performance car that by nature will be driven hard, you need brakes that give you feedback and feel,
SERVOS ARE FOR GIRLS :lol:
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

:whs
they never put a servo on a Can Am Mclaren, I rest my case :D
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd guess you'd need to change the master cylinder for one with a different bore if going non assisted?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

You will probably need dual master cylinders with a balance bar.
It all depends on how hard you want to push.

Denis
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

DEVONMAN wrote:You will probably need dual master cylinders with a balance bar.

Denis
I suppose if you ever drove your Devon as it left the factory, the answer would be 'hard'. :D

Think Herbert Austin once said 'good brakes encourage bad driving' And he certainly saved some money on his products, brakes wise.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

DaveEFI wrote:
DEVONMAN wrote:You will probably need dual master cylinders with a balance bar.

Denis
I suppose if you ever drove your Devon as it left the factory, the answer would be 'hard'. :D

Think Herbert Austin once said 'good brakes encourage bad driving' And he certainly saved some money on his products, brakes wise.
Stangely enough I did drive the Devon with standard brakes, drums all round and hydraulic front and rods at the rear. Back in the 60's they were ok for a boy racer (Me) in a 40 bhp car but couldn't handle more than one roundabout every five minutes.
As far as pedal force goes, the Devon was far better than a standard MK1 cortina with discs manufactured some 15 years later.

Ian's Mk2 must have a good system ( no servo) or he is related to swarts and he doesn't know it. :lol:

Cheers Denis

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”