SD1 Tyres

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

SD1 Tyres

Post by Robrover »

I’m needing some tyres to go on 8 x 15 inch rear Superlight rear wheels on an SD1.

Anyone know if there are any brands that do a 225/55 in a 15 inch size?

I know 205/60 is the same profile (std Vitesse) but would they go on an 8 inch rim easily?

Alternatively is a 215/60/15 viable, but this has a higher profile - would it also fill the wheel arch out better height wise?

The car's lowered to ½ inch lower than standard Vitesse height.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
225 55 15 is quite a common size over here, usual suspects, michilin, uniroyal toyo all list them, certainly in R rating, fitment wise they at 8.8" wide they are within the recommended 1" of rim width on an 8" rim. If it were me I would put them on a 8.5 or 9" rim, maybe even a 9.5" rim but the last one is just really for aesthetics, it will ride and drive better on the narower rims.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Kumho in anything up to V rated
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Without actually checking, I think that's the size fitted to my early E39 BMW - so available from pretty well every maker.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

Thanks. Like 14 inch tyres, it's getting increasingly hard to find 15 inch performance tyres here beyond 205/60. Nobody seems to sell 225/55 series, most performance tyres are marketed for the big wheel Commodores, Falcons, Chryslers and Jap cars or SUVs- anything from 16 up to 24 inch.

I could do the same as many classic Mini owners are doing here - importing (10 inch) tyres direct from the UK. Or, alternatively, go to 16 inch wheels and fit 225/50/16 at the back and 205/55/16 on the front. These have a diameter of 631 mm as opposed to standard Vitesse's 627mm, so should clear the deep chin spoiler at the front. (?)

Cheers

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Rob
If you want to import them from here and need someone to find prices and sort out shipping, or even just have a delivery address in the UK and have me forward them on to you let me know and I'll help out as bast I can.I can chase up shipping quotes for you aswell.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Have a look on Black Circles for choices

http://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”