Radius Arms

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

healeyneil

Radius Arms

Post by healeyneil »

Hi folks. Im building a Sunbeam Tiger replica. Rear axle is an ex-Scimitar Salisbury. I have welded on the pads for the leaf springs and left the upper mount for radius arms. Im at the stage now of where to fit the body mount for these arms. I thought at first ,that mounting the arms parallel to the springs would be correct, but internet searching has shown other options, such as down near the spring mount. Enlightenment is sought !! Also, I intend to re-use the Watts linkage, but with longer arms - again ,opinions please. The car will be used as a fast road car mostly. Thanks, Neil

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
If you can replicate the scimita set up as far as the watts linkage is concerned, provided it lets you mount securly to the chassis/body then I would do that. If it would just leave the ends requiring mounts a long way from a well suported point on the chassis then I would extend the arms of the linkage so you can pick up on a nice stiff bit of chassis, I wouldn't change anything without a reason.
As far as the leaf spring/ radius arm mounting set up is concerned this is less simple, presumably the leaf spring is solidly mounted at it's leading end, if so then it will move the axel back as the suspension compresses, if you do not compensate for this by mounting the radius arm at an angle the axel will rotate as the suspension deflects.
You probably worked this out for yourself, however what I would recommend is you try and draw it out on paper, atleast half scale and try and work out what will happen with the radius arms located in different places. Sorry not to give a simlle answer but I really think this is your best aproach.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

healeyneil

Post by healeyneil »

Thanks. I might just get the kids Meccano out of the loft then :D

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Probably a good idea, it is difficult to visualise what is going on without somthing like that or a ruler and beam compass.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”