Ally Sheet

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Ally Sheet

Post by kiwicar »

I need 3 8x4 sheets of 20 gauge and 1x 16 gauge I will also need a half sheet of 12gauge for floor and seat base. anyone know of a supplier who is reasonably priced and can deliver in the Milton keynes area?
Best regards
Mike

poppet valves rule!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I have used both www.metals4u.co.uk and www.clickmetal.co.uk. They vary between each other as to what is cheapest at the time. Sound service from both of them. Metals4u are more expensive at the mo but do free delivery on orders over £75 where click metal is over £200. Do your shopping cart and see what works out the best.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Thanks Markie
I will try them tommorow
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Apart from the floor have you considered AluPanel. Its an expanded polyethylene foam sandwiched between thin sheets of aluminium. Its cheaper and lighter than standard ally and is good for flat sections of bodywork.

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I remember buying a couple of 8x4 sheets of alu and one of stainless and didnt have a trailer big enough to collect it.

Although when tied to the roof of a volvo estate, it fits dead on lol Didnt have a roof rack or roof bars mind....and the rope passed through the windows.

I'm sure plod wouldnt have been too happy if he stopped me, although it was only 10mins up the road.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Ian
Ok I'm sold, I shall have 3 sheets of that for the sides, and it also solves the problem of fairing into the back panels, looks a lot easier to cut as well.
They also do 6mm and 10mm honeycomb cored 1mm faced panel, so that'll be the floors sorted then :D
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Ian
I've finally got an answer on the alupannel, after talking them down they came in at £55 a sheet for 3 sheets of 8'x4' inc Vat but plus delivery :? last time I bought 20g ally locally it was about 45-50 a sheet. The honeycombe is £170 for 6mm and £200 for 20mm in 10'x5', is this about what you pay for it? I had a quote about 4 years ago for 20mm honeycomb with .5mm ally and 2 layers of carbon fibre facing (aircraft floor) that came in at just over £300 for 2m x 3m (yes an odd size, funny french yards).
I shall get quotes for plain old ally sheet and have a think.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Mike,

Those prices are just about on the button.

Cheers,

Ian

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Ian
Thanks, I think I will go for the 3mm alupanel at the moment, and probably the 6mm honeycomb I will have a think about the 20mm I think I will need a sheet of ally as well, just need to decide what gauge.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Body & Strengthening”