How to fix this mess...

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

How to fix this mess...

Post by 3xpendable »

Some may have seen my MGB V8 project in the other forum and its now getting near the time when I go home over christmas and try and get the shell prepped and painted over the holidays (the car is at my parents). As a result i'm trying to plan ahead so I have stuff ready to go, even if its just in my head. I have everything else sorted as the shell is very good and basically needs flatting back and painting. The only welding I can see it needs are the front inner wing stiffening plates and splashguards, of which i'll be fitting new iteams along with the transmission tunnel extension which I have already fabricated. The main issue though is the corners of the scuttle. See the pictures below but I don't want to fit a new scuttle and repair sections for this bit arent available. I haven't fully dug it all out yet but its certain there will be a bit more rust and filler under that lot. So I just want some ideas as to the best way to repair it? Can I fabricate a new curve out of steel, lip it then weld it in? I want the repair to be decent and not bodged with lots of filler.

1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

With small repair panels you can make your own with time, a hammer and some bits of wood and a vice to beat around!

If you think you have it bad, come visit me and look at the state of my Maverick :shock:

For a taste:
TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I think you will have to make the repair in three parts, and suppotr the roof while you do it. Have you stuch a screw driver into that inside corner where the screen mounts in, just looks like alot of filler in that region and blistering aswell :cry: . I think you need to start with the bulk head top pannel where it turns up to meet the scuttle. Then make good back to the screen inside corner and around the bottom of the A piller where the gutter is rotted back, then finally replace the inside of the Dash top/ inside A pillar. Are you sure you can't get repair sections for these three pannels? or maybe go to a scrappy and get these front corners from one that has been shunted (though I am probably overly optomistic here).
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
I think you will have to make the repair in three parts, and suppotr the roof while you do it. Have you stuch a screw driver into that inside corner where the screen mounts in, just looks like alot of filler in that region and blistering aswell :cry: . I think you need to start with the bulk head top pannel where it turns up to meet the scuttle. Then make good back to the screen inside corner and around the bottom of the A piller where the gutter is rotted back, then finally replace the inside of the Dash top/ inside A pillar. Are you sure you can't get repair sections for these three pannels? or maybe go to a scrappy and get these front corners from one that has been shunted (though I am probably overly optomistic here).
Best regards
Mike
Thanks Mike. Nope you can only get whole scuttles and they are pricey. I'll have a proper dig at the weekend but I think the rot is contained and doesnt go up that far and certainly is only confined to the outer skin. I have thought about cutting this section out of a crashed car, the disadvantage with this is that it will be old metal.
My dad has metalwork tools so with a bit of time and effort it should be ok.

Thanks
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

topcatproduction wrote:With small repair panels you can make your own with time, a hammer and some bits of wood and a vice to beat around!

If you think you have it bad, come visit me and look at the state of my Maverick :shock:

For a taste:
I've seen the Maverick and have been impressed! Crazy! Been watching your updates with interest, hats off to you. Yeah i think i'm going to fabricate repair sections as my dad has all the tools, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

Return to “Body & Strengthening”