Advice on Back halving my capri??

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

nosman

Post by nosman »

mines not the capri axle anymore anyhow mate, its a 4ha from a scimitar, and im fitting an lsd from a v12 jag, as they are half the price and twice the strength! i swapped years ago when i broke the ford diff and couldnt get another quickly for sensible money, but thanks

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

ahhhhhhhhh
i was going the jag route, but after weighing up the cost of axle then the lsd unit i decided to go the mustang route, as my car is hopeless without a lsd, :(
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

nosman

Post by nosman »

i priced up a stang axle, but id seen the simitar in the breakers and knew the lads, so got it for a song, same with the lsd really, ive less than £150 in it with all new bearings, seals etc, it was more the luck of being in the right place at the right time, plus its the correct width for the mk1, yours is 3" wider (if i remember rightly!)

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

yup it is mate,
mines cost a bit more than £150 :cry:
£450 for the axle, £650 for the work to be done, and new shafts etc and diff reset.
still had to get the stang axle narrowed though,
so while i was at it, had the c clips removed, had proper bearing ends fitted etc like the capri axle, and a set of custom stronger shafts,

link to my car if you have not seen it mate:
http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

nosman

Post by nosman »

yes ive seen it mate, and the vids, i knew about it ages ago as i go to doncaster to trevs quite a lot and they told me too!

its beautiful, wish icould afford a larger base motor really, still have the 302, but i would never have got round to fitting it, and the weight always put me off, plus i kind of like getting good numbers with the underdog 3.5 if im honest!!

im still running 13.6 even with the motor totally shot, so theres a twelve in there soon, id like to go low 12 before i ramp up th nitrous really

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

best i ran was a 13.4 with the gas and the 3.9,
what axle ratio you running???
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

nosman

Post by nosman »

cant remember to be honest, think its a 3.33:1 or there abouts, the tags in the garage!

the jag diff had a 2.83, but i didnt think id ever use it and chucked the pinion in the scrap with the casing, wish id given it a go now!

mine loved the 3.09, used to pull really hard against it (tried one out of an old 3l axle i had)

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

mines was a 3.09,
the mussie is a 3.08, going to give that a try before i decide to change the ratio,
handy thing is stevie T has a few ratios for the mussie and has offered to sell to me when/if needed, :wink:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

nosman

Post by nosman »

there are a lot out there, so yea easy done, only down side to those later mustang axles is they are back loaders like the salisburys, at least the 8 and 9 inch axles were third memebr so you could take them out and set them up on a bench!

Return to “Body & Strengthening”