MGB shell questions - Basic

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

MGB shell questions - Basic

Post by 3xpendable »

Hi all, this isn't the usual 'what do I need to do with my shell' question as I have a 1977 shell so its ready to shoehorn the V8 straight in.

The modifications I know I need to do are to extend the height of the transmission tunnel, dress a lip in the rear valence for a second exhaust and to possibly move the gearbox crossmember back a touch to accomodate an LT77 box.

1. The tunnel height extension plate can either be made (as in Roger Williamsons book) or I see that British Motor Heritage make a plate however does anyone know how much this is? I can't get hold of a proce anywhere and want to know if its more cost effective to buy one or make my own.

2. Same question as above but for a centred fuel tank. You can centre the orifinal fuel tank but this means the hassle of relocating bolts, and the fuel filler cap etc with i'd rather not do if the cetral conversion kit isn't too expensive. Has anyone fitted one?

3. Its been shown that you can mount the LT77 box with the gearbox crossmember in the original place but that the cotton reel mounts are almost overhanging the back of it, do people leave it like this or move the cross member back? It so i've read you move it back so that the front crossmember holes line up with the rear crossmember holes on the chassis?

Thanks in advance. I went home on the weekend and started stripping the shell so am getting excited that its finally underway.

Iwan

1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Iwan,

Try British Motor Heritage direct 01993 707200 or MGB Hive for the tunnel extension.

Gearbox X member Dave Vale at V8 Conversions should have weld on brackets to allow x member to bolt up to original position. 01689 858716

He can supply a drawing for the tunnel extension if you want to make your own.

Tank, personally i wouldnt bother unless you really want a twin system, the MGRV8 single big bore stainless steel system from MGB Hive 01945 700500 is very efficient, 10-13 BHP more than block hugger manifolds and very cost effective. get their catalogue there are bound to be bits you will need from them.

Kevin.

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:Iwan,

Try British Motor Heritage direct 01993 707200 or MGB Hive for the tunnel extension.

Gearbox X member Dave Vale at V8 Conversions should have weld on brackets to allow x member to bolt up to original position. 01689 858716

He can supply a drawing for the tunnel extension if you want to make your own.

Tank, personally i wouldnt bother unless you really want a twin system, the MGRV8 single big bore stainless steel system from MGB Hive 01945 700500 is very efficient, 10-13 BHP more than block hugger manifolds and very cost effective. get their catalogue there are bound to be bits you will need from them.

Kevin.
Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for that. Tried them all today but no joy so i'll be making my own, thats fine. I really want a twin exhaust system so am going to be going for that, I have found the tank I was talking about here:

http://www.seventh-heaven.demon.co.uk/P ... B%2020.htm
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

It dont look like theres many miles in that tank Welshie :)
Nice bit of kit though..

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

Good point Perry, i'll look into it.
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

Return to “Body & Strengthening”