rear lights

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

rear lights

Post by bones »

Hi all, is there a legal limit to how far the rear lights have to be in from the side of the car. My sd1 lights are broken so might go for different really cheap ones. :D rich

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Well motorbikes have them right in the middle- so when you leave home, hit the kerb really hard on 1 side to get it in the air and drive it all the way to north weald on 2 wheels- then you only need 1 tail light!!!

Are the lenses broken or just not working? You must be able to bodge them up somehow- gotta look better than sticking another set in a funny shaped hole :?
TC

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

there knackered, nuts just turns as bolt in light casing has gone, and other side the lens is cracked and unglued ,and all chrome stuff has come off from inside. So with my bodge expertise hole filled and about to order some new lights. rimmer want £60 each for rear lights, and im not paying that , i wanted a rough looking car ,and up close its real rough, rivets and mastic do great jobs. Might call the car THE LAUGHING BODGERLIER :D rich

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

bones wrote:there knackered, nuts just turns as bolt in light casing has gone, and other side the lens is cracked and unglued ,and all chrome stuff has come off from inside. So with my bodge expertise hole filled and about to order some new lights. rimmer want £60 each for rear lights, and im not paying that , i wanted a rough looking car ,and up close its real rough, rivets and mastic do great jobs. Might call the car THE LAUGHING BODGERLIER :D rich
If the bolts are pushed in they dislodge a cap and rotate. Can you turn them and pull them back into the socket? If you can hold them in the 'out' position they shouldn't rotate.
Second hand lights don't make much on Ebay unless as new - they tend to fade with age and most want perfect ones.
There's a pair up at the moment with no reserve:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-SD1-TAIL-LI ... 3a58befc94
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

It's probably more a construction and use offence? as the mot only looks for them to be working and in the correct fashion, i.e. flash rate, but here's whats required for the old sva
http://westfield-world.com/svalights_rear.html
So thats where it went !

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
On the SVA (I don't know about the new thingy) there is no limit to how far out they can be, there is one for seperation and how far in from the side of the car. However there are restrictions that specify that they cannot be seen red from the side (no further round than 80 degrees from the centre line to the outside and 45 degrees from centre line to the inside for tail light, 45/45 for stop, 30/30 for reflector and 25/25 for fog lamp).
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Thanks for the replies all, the new lights will go in the same place as the old ones, the lights are cheap things but will do the job :D rich

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Rich

Make sure they have an E mark in them

If they have they basically meet the specifications on separation etc theat are needed for SVA

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Hi Ian, the lights turned up yesterday and they have got an E mark on them. I have fitted one side but they aim upwards slightly, do to the angle of the sd1 panel :( rich

Return to “Body & Strengthening”