Repainting my car myself! Advice on paint please

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Repainting my car myself! Advice on paint please

Post by chodjinn »

Hello chaps, been let down by someone who was supposed to paint my shell for me. Decided to do it myself. Assuming I have a compressor and gear that is good enough (and a place to do it!), can you recommend what primer and paint and where to buy it from? I've done plenty of painting in the past but normally just from rattle cans etc. and have been looking on ebay and other websites for paint but there is a lot to chose from ...

I'm planning on cellulose rather than 2k, but I am assuming I still need thinners etc? Anyone point me in the direction of a good website for advice?

As usual, thanks in advance!

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

if you have a decent gun, a good *dry* supply of air, use a decent quality paint and thinners, and prepare the surface well, it's actually pretty easy to spray cellulose. In a decent dry dust free garage - or even outdoors on a still day.

Not done any spraying for many years, so can't help with suppliers.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

DaveEFI wrote:if you have a decent gun, a good *dry* supply of air, use a decent quality paint and thinners, and prepare the surface well, it's actually pretty easy to spray cellulose. In a decent dry dust free garage - or even outdoors on a still day.

Not done any spraying for many years, so can't help with suppliers.
Cheers for the reply. Doesn't have to be cellulose I suppose, just not 2 pack. Water based paints?

I'm getting a 50l compressor (yes I know it's small but I'll be doing it in bits / per panel) and new hose/gun etc. My garage is quite large and my buddy who is a painter is sorting me out with the wrap/cover stuff they use for not much money, so can pretty much turn my garage into a spray booth.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Are you thinking 2 pack or base coat and lacquer ? I always sprayed with 2 pack, just find a decent supplier and a proper mask. If you wrap the garage, make sure you still have decent ventilation other wise the over spray will land on the freshly sprayed paint
So thats where it went !

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

JSF55 wrote:Are you thinking 2 pack or base coat and lacquer ? I always sprayed with 2 pack, just find a decent supplier and a proper mask. If you wrap the garage, make sure you still have decent ventilation other wise the over spray will land on the freshly sprayed paint
2 pack requires a breather system though surely. Rather not fart around with iso cyanates etc. you can absorb that crap through the skin and I'm not shelling out for a full suit etc.

Garage isn't that well ventilated which is why I will be doing it in bits. Also have/can get a semi-sealed awning type thing for the yard so I can do the doors/panels outside the garage.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Not sure, but think water based is too slow drying for domestic use. Fairly certain it needs an oven?

Cellulose can give superb results and is very easy to work with. Assuming you have put on enough paint, and the finish isn't good enough, you can flat it back with fine wet or dry, then polish to perfection.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

DaveEFI wrote:Not sure, but think water based is too slow drying for domestic use. Fairly certain it needs an oven?

Cellulose can give superb results and is very easy to work with. Assuming you have put on enough paint, and the finish isn't good enough, you can flat it back with fine wet or dry, then polish to perfection.
Sounds better then. Do I need a special mask, or just a decent carbon filter one?

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

I've used special mask for spraying 2 pac paint, admittedly I spray about once every 5 years tho.
http://www.alloypaints.com/gerson-2k-di ... e-72-p.asp
So thats where it went !

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

chodjinn wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:Not sure, but think water based is too slow drying for domestic use. Fairly certain it needs an oven?

Sounds better then. Do I need a special mask, or just a decent carbon filter one?
Don't think you need anything too fancy - it's not poisonous like 2 pack.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

A positive pressure mask is the ideal situation for any painting, but a good quality mask with the correct elements for the paint you are using will be fine.
You don't need a special suit, but a Tyvek overall is a good idea because it helps keep dust down from your clothes and keeps your clothes clean.

I have painted a car with a 25 litre compressor, it just took longer due to having to wait for the tank to fill up.
Cheers,
John

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Disposable mask an 2K is fine :)

My local paint place sell 2k masks with replaceable filters.

After using 2K there is no way on earth you would want to go back to celly

I did the whole of the underside of mine with 2 part epoxy primer and 2K solid colour in a single garage and it came out pretty good.

Epoxy primer sticks far better than anything and is also non porous, so you can paint it an leave it until you get the time to do the rest.
302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I ended up taking it to a guy not far from me. Did am ok job on the shell but I am still waiting for the panels to be finished been a right nightmare

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Does the epoxy primer need a bigger nozzle or gun ? Or is it happy enough with the same for paint ?

I had to repair/paint a 1/4 panel/arch on my car and just bought a mini gun and painted it myself.

Given prep etc was fairly poor, I was surprised how well it came out.
No idea what the base coat was, but it was defo 2k laquer.

Basecoat was thinned with some 740 or something thinners ? Similar tin to the 2k lacquer. ( lacquer needed hardener )

First time I didnt use a mask at all....not sure if the sore mouth/throat a day or two after were related or a coincidence lol

Did buy a filter mask from spraygunsdirect for next time using it though.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Body & Strengthening”