Paint/primer disaster!!!

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Paint/primer disaster!!!

Post by chodjinn »

I finally got back out into the garage yesterday to sort a load of parts out and shift my engines about. I was run over three weeks ago and suffered a broken arm/elbow and some serious lower leg damage (luckily no breaks) so I've been itching to get back in and work on the skyline.

So in the natural daylight I found a disaster - parts of the shell that I have primered are now showing extremely small spotting of rust. All over. I'm completely gutted! :cry:

Last year I finished painting it in red oxide, seam sealed the entire shell and painted the underside. In December last year I primered the engine bay, boot interior, and half the inside. But due to the cold and extremely wet weather we've been having I have not had the chance to continue and finish painting. It's the engine bay and boot that are showing the rust spots.

I assume this is because primer is porous and there is little I can do except strip it back to bare metal and start again? Is there anything else I can do? I spent over a year restoring the shell and I'm really not looking forward to having to do a lot of it all again :evil: :cry:

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

Most importantly, hope you're fully recovered from what sounds like a nasty accident.

Re' bodywork, yes the primer will need to be removed and the surface rust buzzed back, neutralized and then re-primed. Most, not all, primers are porous and absorb moisture. The difficulty is knowing how far to buzz back and will the oxidization reoccur. There is a very good bare metal treatment for this, http://aquasteel.co.uk/ It wold be worth treating the bare metal before apply a good etch primer.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Thanks, I am feeling better and the arm is on the mend.

The areas with red oxide don't seem to be affected, it must have been the grey primer absorbing moisture that caused it.

I will give an area a going over with the wire wheel tonight and see how bad it is, although I suspect not as it wasn't there the other week and it seems to be very very tiny, albeit over most of the grey primered areas.

I have some etch primer I can use to protect the metal afterwards. I assume that isn't porous? If it is I'll just have to get some more red oxide to seal it and then wait until the weather is better.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I have had some parts primered which definitely doesn't let moisture through. The downside is that no bloody paint sticks to it!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Body & Strengthening”