Mild Steel or Aluminium angle for fuel cell cradle

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Mild Steel or Aluminium angle for fuel cell cradle

Post by chodjinn »

I'm removing the wheel well and other bits between the chassis rails in my boot, and will be fitting a removable fuel cell cradle. Fuel cell is square 40 litre item with built in sump.

I was planning on using some angle iron or alu, 30mm x 30mm x 3mm to make a square cradle for the base of the cell and then two large beams to bolt to the chassis rails using four decent/strong mounting points.

Question is, can I use aluminium (as it's pretty light) or is mild steel really needed?

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Wouldnt have any issue with aluminium.

I made mine from steel for two reasons...

1. it was all I could weld at the time.
2. even if I could have welded aluminium, I couldnt have then welded it into the car lol

So if you make an alloy cradle it will need bolted in to the car. I got a thin line of foam and stuck it to the angle section before setting the tank onto the frame so it wasnt directly touching metal.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Aluminium it is then, I will use some decent bolts to mount it - there are already some captive nuts welded to the chassis rail from the factory so will use those. I have no problem welding mild steel but the cradle would weigh a fair bit out of 3mm steel!

And the foam is a good idea, I did that on my MGB for the swirl pot so will be doing the same. Cheers

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If you're having a tank made, just make it so no external swirl is needed, saves hassle and ends up much neater
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

stevieturbo wrote:If you're having a tank made, just make it so no external swirl is needed, saves hassle and ends up much neater
Very true, but I bought an entire fuel system from a cossie rally car a couple of years ago, tank, swirl pot, pumps and aeroquip lines etc.

Return to “Body & Strengthening”