Paint repairs

General Chat About Body & Strengthening

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Paint repairs

Post by marcjagman »

Just bought her indoors a newer car but it has a little scrape on the baxk wing. it's been a long time since I did a minor paint repair and need a bit of help on how to blow the paint, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Generally,if it is a big scratch/ding it's best to do the whole panel, up to the shut line,but that gets tricky dependant on the colour and the amount of fade and oxidation the paint has.

If it's a small repair, I use a small gravity feed gun and dial the feed pressure right down to just enough to draw the paint out of the gun and shut the fan spray right down to minimise fan and ever so lightly fill in the damaged area with the top coat, stopping to allow it to set off. Once dry, a rub with Scotchbrite and a clean with a tack rag then at a higher pressure I go over it again and feather the spray outwards in a circular motion to mist into the surrounding area.
If its a basecoat/clearcoat job, then it's a sand down of the whole panel to reapply the basecoat post touch up.
A quick disclaimer, I have only done this on aircraft, so for cars it may not turn out so great due to being closer to the eyes.
Cheers,
John

Return to “Body & Strengthening”