I'm new - so hiya

Please introduce yourself to everyone and say hi :-)

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Roverc32

I'm new - so hiya

Post by Roverc32 »

Just saying hello :D .. to all members. I am combining my most favourite ever engine - the 10.5 -1 3.5 with my most favourite van ever .... The Nissan C23 ......... Yes you got it .... the Vanette cargo LWB. Any other odd combinations on here i wonder?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: I'm new - so hiya

Post by ChrisJC »

Got any pictures yet?, or is still an idea?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Roverc32

Post by Roverc32 »

Hi Chris, No pics as yet j- just a growing pile of parts in the shed with my trusty old van. I have taken early retirement and will enjoy this over the next year or so along with the house and new garage. The project is in the planning stage at the moment - initial measurements in the engine bay ( below seats mid engine location ) show that the only problem i will have is the induction so i will probably have to fabricate induction pipes and carb mounting arrangement or set engine 3 inches lower than planned. The 2.3 ohc diesel which is still in residence is a lot taller than the v8 so it gives me plenty of options. What i can't decide on is drivetrain - i would prefer auto as i am more inclined to spec the motor for torque over bhp ( new camshaft and standard valve/inlets would be enough ) but really i would be happy with either auto or manual depending on availability or what turns up first. Does anyone on this forum have any boxes for sale do you know? I will post pics and comments as i go. This week and next week though i am re-commissioning a very nice Rover 827 Sterling that has been standing for 8 years for the missus - getting jerked about by parts suppliers though for a fuel pump and rebuild kits for the rear calipers.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

What engine is fitted at the moment?

There are a few autobox options - by far the best one (in my opinion!) is the ZF4HP22 4-speed auto. Get a fully mechanical one (i.e. no electronics), and you are away.

The snag is that the only V8 and 2-wheel-drive version was for the Sherpa Van, and they are very rare. Instead, you get one from a car (of which there are plenty of options), and stick the Range Rover bellhousing / torque converter on it.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I've got a complete RR mechanical 4HP here. Which if nothing else has the bell housing and TC. Free - but would have to be collected from SW London. Got the BW? transfer box too. Same terms. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Roverc32

Post by Roverc32 »

The old ld23 engine is still in - the v8 is replacing it. Lots of fettling and fabricating but i have the time and wherewithal to do it. The 2wd zf 4hp22 box and RR v8 convertor/bell - housing i have to admit i hadn't thought of - I like learning new stuff :D I was stuck on the BG 35/65 school of thought. On the manual transmission theme i heard that it was possible to fit the mt75 box (transit) by fabricating a converting plate Is this true or just a leg pull. The mt75 would also require a gear selector remote arrangement similar to the nissan box fitted now

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Thing to remember is that most (if not all) 3 speed autoboxes have a 1:1 top gear. You need a very 'tall' geared back axle for that, otherwise you'll be revving the tits off it at 70mph.

The ZF is 4 speed and 4th is an overdrive - about 0.7:1, so similar to 5th in a manual transmission.

Not sure about mating the V8 to one of those Ford transmissions. Probably someone has done it!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Roverc32

Post by Roverc32 »

Yes i agree with the comment on the final gearing - i had thought of that a couple of years ago when i decided to keep the old van. My solution was to find a late 2.0 sr engined manual 'box serena with the independent multi link rear suspension ( all constructed within a handy subframe ) and lsd - almost a kit in box! I actually found one ( most serena's had leaf sprung solid axle ) - and the l.s diff had been further uprated to an even taller one ( i suspect from a 3.0 nissan ) . The problem was that i decided to repair the rotten front suspension lower mounts to make it road worthy and evaluate it for my van project. The wife then took a shine to it :( - after i'd fettled with the engine ( runs close to 160 bhp,mid engine ( rev's beyond it's 7k red line before cut -out ) and multi - link rear with high lsd a very stiff floor pan makes it a rather high fun little van - surprises a lot of other stuff. Then she found out that it is classed as an estate car by the insurance people = cheap insurance. And at this point i know that you are probably thinking that if it's so good why not just drive the serena? The answer is that i want a lwb van and it's not a Rover V8 ! So i am hoping that she prefers the 827 sterling auto or i have to try and find another rotten late 2.0 serena..... or i install the V8 into the serena. :?

EricCartman

Post by EricCartman »

I’ve chosen the zf4hp22 for my London Taxi conversion. I’ll let you know how that goes when it’s completed :)
1997 London Taxi 3.9l sleeper with SU carbs. Where to guv?

Roverc32

Post by Roverc32 »

Certainly would be interested in how you do with the zf4hp22 conversion! What motors where these fitted to?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_4HP22_transmission

Plenty to choose from!!

Note that depending on application, the valving etc. will be different, so you want one with an engine closest to the RV8. For example, if you got one that upshifted at 7000rpm at full throttle, it would never upshift with the RV8!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Roverc32

Post by Roverc32 »

So it looks like the 4hp22 most suitable would probably come from a bmw 5 series or jag xj40 - xj6. Sends a bit of a shudder down my back though that the 'box could be trashed by the mot man. I wonder how many young bmw 'driver's ' have trashed them themselves revvin' up - along with their rattly timing chains ?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I think that 'weakness' in the design mentioned on wikipedia was only a problem in the Californian MOT test where they had to run the engine for an extended period at high speed. A quick rev is absolutely fine.

I also think it was fixed anyway.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

There's an awful lot of old 4HP boxes still working just fine - they often outlast the cars.
As was said, boxes are 'programmed' for the actual engine fitted. So for best results, you'll need a torque converter, valve body and governor etc for the version of RV8 you have. Other gotcha can be finding the correct speedo drive.

You'll find a a workshop manual for 4HP easily enough. Don't be scared about having to delve inside one - they are nothing like as frightening as some think.

Note also that late 4HP have a degree of electronic control. So you'll need an early one.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Roverc32

Post by Roverc32 »

The manual 'box option is starting to look more appealing - :| What are the favoured choices these days for manual gearbox fitment? It's been 25 years since i last used the Rv8. Also what are the best engine oil choices now - is it still Morrisons ?

Return to “Please Tell Us About Yourself”