Hello

Please introduce yourself to everyone and say hi :-)

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mikemole

Hello

Post by Mikemole »

Hi...Thanks for letting me join you.
I'll quickly fill you in on my details then when I ask questions they may or may not make sense, so please be patient :lol:
Several years ago I acquired a Dutton Phaeton with a Rover V8 (SD1 ?) which I believe had been used for racing/hill climb's. The car had been stripped & basically boxed up but I do know the engine was in a running condition at the time. Last summer I managed to strip the box chassis, had a little welding done then re painted. So this years project is put the running gear back on the drop the engine & box back i then try to fire it up.
I do not know if the engine is standard (I suspect not), as it is also fitted with a 4 barrel Holley carb.
Although I'm not too to familiar with these engines/cars, I am old enough to remember them well.

My first question is about replacing the exhaust manifolds as they are pretty shot, looking at manifolds off later engines ie 3.9/4.0, would they still fit the earlier engine?

Many thanks Mike

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Hello

Post by ChrisJC »

Yes. All the manifolds will fit all the heads.

You might have to be careful on engine mounts / starter though. And chassis rail clearance.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

IIRC, all standard manifolds are cast iron, which should last forever, unless smashed etc. The standard SDI manifold (or at least on the EFI ones) is said to be very good, apart from the weight. But it has twin exits at about 45 degrees and to the back (covering the starter) so not suitable for everything.

If yours is shot, it is likely a tubular steel one, and maybe even custom made.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Not quite true Dave - P38 Range Rover ones are tubular, as are MGB-V8 ones.

The P38 Range Rover ones are pretty good, certainly better than some of the really old designs. I think the Sherpa Van ones are the worst.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Ah - not got that modern with the RV8. :D Are the factory tubular SS? Some of the cast iron types are certainly pretty crude.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Mikemole

Post by Mikemole »

Thanks for your help, the ones I've got are home made by a 5 year old by the looks of it. The headers, pipe's & back boxes are all welded together in one piece and are going out for the scrap man.
I like the look of the P38 type, so will probably go down that route.

Cheers Mike

Return to “Please Tell Us About Yourself”