Hi, have a project in flight and need advise

Please introduce yourself to everyone and say hi :-)

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

hoylegj

Hi, have a project in flight and need advise

Post by hoylegj »

Hi,

I have a 1959 ford popular (sit up and beg) which was originally going to be fitted with a V6 cosworth. Things are making me reconsider.

Range Rover 4.6 auto is now one option, but I need to use the gearbox for licensing reasons. Question is how to make it 2wd, and wheter it's possible

Chassis made, body just about sorted, back end Jag IRS, engine gearbox next.

Thanks Geoff
Will post a few pics when I work out how

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hi, have a project in flight and need advise

Post by DaveEFI »

The ZF 4HP as fitted to the Range Rover is used on several RWD cars. You either need to rebuild the RR one with a tailshaft etc from a RWD version, or fit a RWD version (from a Jag or BMW) with the RR bellhousing. Some Sherpa ambulances etc used a 4HP that will fit straight on - but can be difficult to find. Note also earlier boxes are cable control - later ones partially electronic.
If using one from a different car, make sure the engine on that has a similar torque output to the RV8, as they can vary strength wise somewhat, but look pretty much the same.

Ideally, to get the correct change up speeds etc, use the RR one, and fit the tailshaft from a RWD. Stripping and rebuilding one isn't as difficult as it sounds. But you will need two boxes - unless you can find an ambulance one.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

hoylegj

Post by hoylegj »

Thank you DaveEFI, I was wondering if a tail shaft switch was possible, is it a casing switch or just remove the transfer box and fit a tail end from a jag or similar.

Thanks again.

Attachments
89A00ED1-9B3F-4C53-80A7-3378C8644DC5.jpeg

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It's not a job I've done myself so will leave that to one who has. I do have a cable box from a RR which I've removed the transfer box from which I was intending fitting to my SD1, but the bell housing size looked like body work mods would be needed so put it on hold. And I'd rather have something like a 5HP if anyone comes up with a controller if it needs major works rather than just bolting on.

I have rebuild a couple of BW boxes and the GM one on my SD1 in the past, and provided you have a manual and do things methodically, it's not as difficult as it first looks.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Chris did a very good write up on how to rebuild a box, it should take you a long way to changing one over
http://www.cowdery.org.uk/zf.php
So thats where it went !

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Yep. I've never done the swap myself, but if you had a Range Rover box and a Jag box, you would easily be able to mix / match.

Myself, I would just stick the bellhousing from a Range Rover on a 2WD box.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Paolo60

Post by Paolo60 »

DaveEFI wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:25 pm
The ZF 4HP as fitted to the Range Rover is used on several RWD cars. You either need to rebuild the RR one with a tailshaft etc from a RWD version, or fit a RWD version (from a Jag or BMW) with the RR bellhousing. Some Sherpa ambulances etc used a 4HP that will fit straight on - but can be difficult to find. Note also earlier boxes are cable Simulation Regroupement de prêt control - later ones partially electronic.
If using one from a different car, make sure the engine on that has a similar torque output to the RV8, as they can vary strength wise somewhat, but look pretty much the same.

Ideally, to get the correct change up speeds etc, use the RR one, and fit the tailshaft from a RWD. Stripping and rebuilding one isn't as difficult as it sounds. But you will need two boxes - unless you can find an ambulance one.
hello, thank you for this information, I also need my side

Gerro

Post by Gerro »

JSF55 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:05 pm
Chris did a very good write up on how to rebuild a box, it should take you a long way to changing one over
http://www.cowdery.org.uk/zf.php
That's great job for the box rebuild.

Return to “Please Tell Us About Yourself”