MGB Sebring Rover V8

Please introduce yourself to everyone and say hi :-)

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

aidanmgb

MGB Sebring Rover V8

Post by aidanmgb »

MGB Sebring.... Hi there. First time n here so aologies if I mess it up....
I have built an MGB Sebring with a lively engine in it - no idea of the history but it's got some poke.
I'm also building a Rover V8 to go in in this year - Other than the remote oil filter and gearbox to change, are there any other serious mods I need to make to the engine to get it in.... and working...?
water pump?
Mounts?
pipe work?

Ooh - How do I post a picture on here?

Thanks
Aidan

Aidan Gribbin

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Off the top of my head you'll need;

V8 engine mounts (you can buy these and weld them on)
Gearbox crossmember (I'm assuming you're using an Lt77 or R380)
Propshaft
Notch the rear bulkhead to clear the heads (it does depend what mgb shell you have iirc)
Decent radiator, the standard MGB one won't be man enough
Probably a good idea to get some better front brakes

You running carb or efi?
If EFi you're gonna need a high pressure fuel pump etc.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

aidanmgb

Post by aidanmgb »

Thanks.

Pretty much got those bits covered I think. I'm going to use a LT77 box that I'll get soon £££ allowig - The mounts- are they standard SD1 mounts that need modifying?

I'm going to run carbs to hopefully get away with the SU pump - or I'll put in a Facet.
Front braket....? Frontline or just some greenstuff pads?

thanks
Any ide on ow o post a picture?
Aidan Gribbin

aidanmgb

Post by aidanmgb »

Typos.... Any idea on how to post a picture??[/img]
Aidan Gribbin

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

To post a picture they need to be on a third party hosting website e.g. photobucket. Then click the "img" button when adding a new post, put the link in, and click the "/img" button again to lock it in.

The V8 engine mounts can be bought from the likes of V8 Conversions (if they're still about). The drivers one has a cutout for the steering shaft.

The gearbox mount - I used a standard cross member which had been welded, they're are plenty of pics on google e.g.

http://www.vord.net/cars/mgb_mods/gearb ... tings.html

Facet pumps are pretty good for the money.

If it's just for road use then yeah just get some better pads. The frontline kit is pretty good value for the money and should be all you ever need unless you're going for mental power!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I forgot to say the top of the gearbox tunnel is likely to need cutting slightly and moving up to clear the lt77/r380, again pics on google show you this pretty easy.

Llohcins

Post by Llohcins »

I'm doing the same. I have fitted the full Sebring kit and am not far off with my 3.5v8.

You will need to heighten the tunnel for the gearbox.

Using a p6 water pump means that it fits just about.

If its a rubber bumper originally then the mounts are in the right place. Just get some engine mounts from Clive Wheatley.

You can buy a prop that will connect the current rear axle to an lt77 box. I thin that was from Mgb hive.

The brakes will need uprating. I'm currently saving for the willwood big brake set but that also requires 15" or bigger wheels.

The rv8 exhaust is the way to go as it helps loads with cooling.

You may want to uprate the suspension, I plan to also try to build some anti tramp bars.

Will need a bigger rad probably as well.

Very little cutting required really but it is still fiddly. You will need to slightly modify the gear lever as well to centralise it. I need to do this soon.

If you have a big budget all the stuff is out there to make it easy. If you haven't, like me then it takes a while. Having said that i have ended up spending a lot over time even though I have done it all myself with the help of an engineer friend. My engine is fully rebuilt though and I have restored a lot of the car in general throughout.

Best of luck.

Return to “Please Tell Us About Yourself”