Newbie - tell me about the rover v8!

Please introduce yourself to everyone and say hi :-)

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

I race a TVR and had 3.9 dizzie with a 4 chock Webber on top which ran really very well and got 260 bhp on the rolling road. I've since spent £15 grand and got 365 hp and a hell of a lot of complications. Yes it's great but I think I would just consider something else next time. It can be expensive!

douchecalamondaes

Post by douchecalamondaes »

ChrisJC wrote:
douchecalamondaes wrote:
ChrisJC wrote:I have built a 4.6 engine up with the older timing cover / sump / ancillaries / ignition / carbs. There's a couple of nuances, but it's not hard.

The 'flapper' type fuel injection as fitted to the SD1 and earlier Range Rover EFi's has no notion of an immobiliser, and can be transplanted easily if one understand how it works.
The 'hotwire' is the next one, which is pretty popular and you can use Megasquirt with it.
Later than that are GEMS and Motronic which do understand immobilisers and are problematic for that reason.

Chris.
thanks chris, do you have a rough idea of the performance , (particularly torque curve) you get from a carb'd dizzied? 4.6? can it rival a standard 4.6 with the efi? and whats the (very rough) extra cost of those parts?

thanks
I had my engine tuned on a rolling road, and it delivered about 250BHP, which is more than the standard 4.6 fuel injection engine.
It was running twin 2" SU's on a ported inlet manifold.
Camshaft was a Piper 270, which compromises a little on bottom end torque for top end power. Before then I had a TorqueMAX cam from RPi, ,which was definitely torquier.
I was running a MegaJolt Lite Jr mapped ignition system, which does give a little over a distributor as I could map it spot on whilst on the rolling road.

Chris.
thanks mate, I think this is what I am looking for, do you have your old cam lying around?? :roll:

also do you have any advice about how they swim>? you say you have one in a landy?

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Username wrote:I race a TVR and had 3.9 dizzie with a 4 chock Webber on top which ran really very well and got 260 bhp on the rolling road. I've since spent £15 grand and got 365 hp and a hell of a lot of complications. Yes it's great but I think I would just consider something else next time. It can be expensive!
15K :shock:
I spent 4.5k on my 4.6 and got 404rwhp :?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Camshaft went in the bin.

I never went swimming - so I don't know how it would have fared. But on the few occasions I dipped the fan into the water, it didn't miss a beat

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Please Tell Us About Yourself”