Hello

Please introduce yourself to everyone and say hi :-)

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

rekordCv8

Hello

Post by rekordCv8 »

Hello there
I own and am currently restoring a '69 Opel Rekord coupe, it started life as a 1.9 auto and I changed it to a manual 5 speed.
The intention was to keep it this way however I have acquired a mid '60's 283 chevy v8 along the way,I have told has been rebuilt and has been mildly uprated and I think it might be good fun to stick it in the Opel!!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n240 ... kordc6.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n240 ... kordc7.jpg

Just a few questions with regards to gearboxs, I think I would like a 4 speed manual, what are the options, also require a flywheel and clutch etc and am not really familiar with whats out there.

Thanks in advance..

Steven

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hello and welcome
another chevy man may I say what a good choice of motor that is :D the 283 for the smaller chevys is actually quite tuneable but in a light car as you have I doubt that will really matter. Any 4 speed manual for a chevy (like the Munci) is going to be pretty old and they never had a reputation for quick changing, however you are very unlikley to brake one with a 283 :shock: . I would consider going for a more modern 5 speed manual like the T5 as atleast the change s a little more brisk.
Anyway welcome again
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

rekordCv8

Post by rekordCv8 »

Thanks for the reply
I always had an idea that the car would suit a v8 and logically I guess the rover v8 would have been a better option being lighter than the all iron cih opel engine that's coming out but the Chevy engine just happened to come up and hopefully will work out. Opel did use the 283 and 327 in there bigger Diplomat models back in the day so I guess there is a link of sorts!
The big sticker will be gettin a manual box sorted, I'm in no rush so is it a case of waitin til something comes up for sale or are there particular breakers in the UK who would something in stock, there seems to be plenty of autos out there, I guess that's an option. Anyone any ideas?
On a sillier note I mentioned to someone the other day that after 40 something cars this was my first v8 engine.......later I remembered I had actually owned a '77 Ford Galaxie 351 v8 when I was workin in the states back in the mid '90s, too much beer drank that year!!

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

You can put a Getrag 265 off a Jaguar (like this) on the back of a SBC. I'm currently fitting one to the back of my LS (L33) but most of the parts I'm using are from the SBC, although you do need an adapter plate, but you can buy one of them off AK Sportscars.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

volospian wrote:You can put a Getrag 265 off a Jaguar (like this) on the back of a SBC. I'm currently fitting one to the back of my LS (L33) but most of the parts I'm using are from the SBC, although you do need an adapter plate, but you can buy one of them off AK Sportscars.
600 notes seems strong money - you could probably buy a complete jag for that..
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

lol, yeah. I wouldn't pay that much, I was just demonstrating the type of box. The BMW version is slightly different and AK don't make the adapters for the BMW version anymore, and it has to have the removable bellhousing as some are integral.

I paid £450 for mine, with the prop shaft, delivered and I thought I was paying a bit over the odds, but they're not that common and I got fed up of playing the waiting game.:)

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

Also, I don't know what he means by "adapter plate" in that listing. I wonder if it was a manual conversion set-up for what was originally an auto car?

rekordCv8

Post by rekordCv8 »

Thanks guys for replys
Interested in getrag option as into my opels and the 265 came in the monza and a few other bmw's and merc's of the period. I read somewhere a company makes a different bellhousing for getrag that's a bolt on for the small block and that would interest me, what clutch do you use with this set up?

Cheers

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Give Jim Robinson a shout. www.jrv8.co.uk

He is mostly an RV8 guy, but has a lot of contacts. I think he was trying to sort a Getrag 265 setup for the RV8

edit...just seen he replied in the other thread lol
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

There is a company in South Africa that do a Getrag to SBC bellhousing. However, they're not that interested in doing business with people by the sound of it. I know someone else had asked about this bellhousing and had no reply, so I tried and I got the following:

Good day,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The cost of the bellhousing is R 2,500.00. (2500ZAR is about £160-ish)

In order to give you a ;quote on the shipping, kindly furnish me with you r full physical delivery address.

Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soonest.

Kind regards,

Janine De Greef

However, when I sent my address and a few more questions, I got no further reply. Have a go, you may get lucky....

The bellhousing they do is for the BMW version of the 'box. I don't know the difference between the Jag and BMW versions of this box (it was one of the questions I asked, if it would work with the Jag 'box, but as I said, I got no reply).

You'd also need a suitable bush for the end of the crank, and a suitable clutch bearing (or a sleeve made up).

The clutch is a hybrid unit, half chevy and half mopar. I'll give you the part numbers of what I have, if you're interested.

rekordCv8

Post by rekordCv8 »

Hello there

Thanks for getting back to me regards the sbc getrag bell housing from South Africa, if you forward me any details of the company and part numbers I'd be mighty grateful. I have a friend currently working in South Africa who might be able to help me out and if the sums make sense it might work.
Which BMW models had this gearbox then?

Cheers

Steven

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

Hi, the company is Gilo Engineering (Website).

I'll have a look at the various part numbers that make up the clutch when I get a chance. You'll need, as far as I know, a standard SBC manual flywheel and if you opt for the AK solution, a "621" bellhousing. However, if you go for the Gilo solution you'll need to work out a suitable release bearing. The one I have requires a very thin bush that is pressed into the "standard" one to make it fit the Getrag shaft. You'll also need the correct pilot bearing for the crank. I don't have part numbers for these as both the bush and pilot bearing are provided by AK as part of their adapter kit (and the release bearing bush is custom made by AK anyway).

The AK kit is pretty easy by the look of it. You buy the basic SBC clutch, fork and flywheel parts, etc. (and the Mopar friction plate) from somewhere (I used Real Steel) and then get the kit from AK and it all bolts together. The only thing I may change in my setup is that I have a standard SBC bellhousing, and I may opt for a Kessler one, as that has all the mounting points cast into it for both SBC and LSx engines (the standard 621 BH is missing the top bolt. The general consensus is that it's fine without the bolt, but I may consider cutting my losses on my 621 housing for the more elegant solution). You won't need to worry about this step though as you have the sbc, so the holes would line up with a standard 621 bellhousing.

While the Gilo BH looks a more elegant solution on paper, it may end up costing more as you chase up the required pilot and release bearings... not sure. Also the Gilo one only seems to work with the BMW version, while AK only supply a Jag version, so it may depend on what version of the 'box you can find, and how much they want for it. I'm not sure if the BMW version is more sought after or not.

I'm not sure what BMW's had the 265 'box as I only researched the Jag unit. this link gives some info, but it's also worth considering what diff ratio you're using and what you need your 'box ratio's to be as you may want he US version of the BMW box if you want the overdriven 5th (vs. the european version for the "close" ratios). The Jag version looks to have about the same ratios as the "265/6" US version of the BMW 'box so I'll have a longer 5th than the "close" BMW box, which is nice for cruising down to Le Mans, etc. :)

Rich

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
with regards the Top bolt, the LS engine does not have provision for it on the engine side and the first thing that happens to a standard bell housing on the Gen 1 SBC is that the thing is cut off to make way for a flywheel/flex plate shield. It is not needed. The uprated aftermarket SFI rated transmission cases don't have them either. I would not go to the effort of changing the bell housings just for the top bolt hole! :D as I say if you do decide you want a flex plate shield (not a bad idea) you will only have to cut it off. Sorry I think I have gone on a bit there :oops:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

I'm not sure what you mean by "the LS engine does not have provision for [the top bolt] on the engine side". Mine has one at 12 o'clock, the same as the one in the pic below

The Keisler 621 copy has bolt holes cast in the 11, 12 and 1 o'clock positions, and has the lower bolt holes to bolt to the bottom of the sump too.

Having said that, I'm sure 5 bolts should be enough to hold it all together...

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

OK so it does, I must confess I was only going on the PDFs of bell housings for the LS I have seen on line I have not been in the fortunate position of owning an LS series. I also have not seen one missing the 1 oclock position bolt before. You live and you learn!
I still would not worry about missing the 1200 bolt though.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Please Tell Us About Yourself”