Rover 3.5efi strange tapping knocking noise

Are any of you on face book?
this is a private forum that members only can see,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

AlexAidan

Rover 3.5efi strange tapping knocking noise

Post by AlexAidan »

good morning and a happy new year everyone
my 1987 3.5efi (zf auto) started coming up with some annoying noise after the camshaft was renewed. camshaft is an etc6850l from turner engineering UK, lifters are new orig. land rover 4949 ones timing chain and its wheels came new too (even turner eng.-parts) new 20w50 oil incl. filter naturally...and the job was done by a so called oldtimer workshop next village here.
i say "so called" as the young mechanic was told by me that after the oil sump had been off (dont know why he took it off) the oil pump has to be primed with vaseline as it won`t be able to suck the oil in by itself. and i told him to check lifter preload. but he told me that it would be ok without doing so.--and fired the engine up after all work done. but as i told him-the idiot light did not go out. the engine had been running like this for about 5-10mins. he revved up to 2-3k rpm several times hoping oil pressure would come on--but naturally it did not. now it has developed an annoying tapping/clacking nois appearing under even light load. while shifter is in P or N position you can rev up to 3-4k rpm and there`s no such noise.
my supposition now is--he kind of killed my engine while running without oil pressure which in my eyes could have caused a conrod bearing damage..or piston-"damage" (ring(s) broken/piston slap maybe. whats your thoughts about this please? i got a video of this sound too but dont know how to insert it here
best regards
alex

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rover 3.5efi strange tapping knocking noise

Post by DaveEFI »

The sump gasket can tear when you remove the front cover.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

My answer would be yes and no.

I cannot see that Rover would ever do anything other than just start the engine when new and eventually hothead oil pressure will come up.

Ticking is often a failed exhaust manifold gasket which is an easy and cheap fix and you may have dodged a bullet.

But for a current year mechanic too not pack the pump with Vaseline, or not prime the oil system with an electric drill via the distributor with all the evidence now available is not professional and he should be held accountable for his actions. However evidence of proof is needed in order to achieve any claim. This may not be available.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd guess at the factory the pump was packed with petroleum jelly at engine assembly time?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

DaveEFI wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:40 am
I'd guess at the factory the pump was packed with petroleum jelly at engine assembly time?
It would never prime if something similar was not done. They're not great pumps

Although it'd be interesting to know
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Interesting Stevie, without Vaseline we got oil pressure spinning with a drill.
Admittedly I had overfilled the sump slightly.

If I was brave and just started the engine and hit 2000 rpm I guess the same would have happened."………but I never tried that!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “V8 Members On FaceBook”