v8 into land rover 109

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mongman

v8 into land rover 109

Post by Mongman »

dropping a 3.5 rover v8 into my '84 109 and just wanna check a few points. firstly the engine setup is suitable for the car. not bothered about overpowering the drivetrain as i ain't heavy footed, just wanna make sure it will handle ok off road. secondly they guy i got it off said it was ok ith the original cooling radiator. true? also still wondering about the unusual cylinder heads so included the pics here although the thread is in the cylinger head section.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Those heads look standard to me. I think the part number is only viewable when the rocker cover is removed.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ChrisJC wrote:Those heads look standard to me. I think the part number is only viewable when the rocker cover is removed.

Chris.
I think they are the ones for an aux air pump system - something to do with emissions.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: v8 into land rover 109

Post by DaveEFI »

Mongman wrote:dropping a 3.5 rover v8 into my '84 109 and just wanna check a few points. firstly the engine setup is suitable for the car. not bothered about overpowering the drivetrain as i ain't heavy footed, just wanna make sure it will handle ok off road. secondly they guy i got it off said it was ok ith the original cooling radiator. true? also still wondering about the unusual cylinder heads so included the pics here although the thread is in the cylinger head section.
Since you'll be making up a new exhaust, I'd deffo start off with better manifolds. There are twin pipe ones from a later RR EFI
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

DaveEFI wrote:
ChrisJC wrote:Those heads look standard to me. I think the part number is only viewable when the rocker cover is removed.

Chris.
I think they are the ones for an aux air pump system - something to do with emissions.
Are you sure?, the bosses next to the exhaust ports aren't drilled.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Mongman

Post by Mongman »

The stamps are on the end of the heads and can be seen without removing the covers. Hadn't seen them on the last engine i had so wondered if it was a different setup or just because it's off a diffrent car?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

SPAMSPAMSPAM!!!
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

well spotted, deleted and banned.

Jekyll

Post by Jekyll »

After having a 3.5 V8 from a P6 installed in a SI 86" and cooling it with an SIII rad with a Kenlowe fan, I think it might be the best to find some more substantial radiator. It does work most of the time, but I will be looking for a larger rad myself (been told some scrap Renault Espace rads might have the right dimensions to fit between wings) and perhaps using a waterless coolant as well to get rid of the annoying urge to constantly look at the temperature gauge...
Jan
---------
LR SI 86" with an Rover V8 - "Jekyll"

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”