BMW 4.4ltr V8 into E36 Saloon..!

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

reesy_csl

Post by reesy_csl »

The great info in this thread has inspired me to put an M60 in to my E36 touring. I had been looking to Alpina B8 4.6 parts, using the sump and oil pump, but the X5 solution looks much more cost effective!

Terror Factor

Post by Terror Factor »

The picture of the X5 pump is down, can someone reupload it?
I want a car with V8 power and OEM reliability, but in a light chassis. The BMW V8 seems to be the most interesting one here in Europe (cheap, decent power, available with a manual box).

I was hoping to get it in an RX7 FC, but that has the same problem as the E36. And no fabbing skills means that I have to keep the custom stuff to a minimum, or it'll just work out as expensive as the alpina parts :lol:

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

It was myself that posted the pump info, maybe some problems with the hosting but it should be back up and running again soon.

Terror Factor

Post by Terror Factor »

Could you reupload it to imageshack/dropbox maybe? That might be more reliable, I can imagine it'll be useful information for many people, including me! :D

Thanks for the reply by the way :)

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

I'll have a look and correct the link.

What are you putting the engine in? I can't believe how tall the engine is once I got in it my engine bay!

Terror Factor

Post by Terror Factor »

Iain wrote:I'll have a look and correct the link.

What are you putting the engine in? I can't believe how tall the engine is once I got in it my engine bay!
I'd like to put it in an RX-7 FC. It seems like one of the best bang for the buck engine/gearbox combo's, but it might not be viable with the sump problems.

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

I'm really struggling with the height of this engine in my TR7, to get the engine in to clear the bonnet the oil pump is going to hang under the subframe and be the lowest point in the car by 2-3inches!

Has anyone actually used any other types of pump? Or found a supplier for a dry sump system that's not £4000? (Vac Motorsport)

I may have a brand new x5 pump with pickup, seals etc forsale soon if anyone is doing this the same as this thread.

Any help or suggestions would be good!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

You could still run a wet sump, but use an external pump. Would be far cheaper than a full dry sump. Although 4k sounds a silly price
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

stevieturbo wrote:You could still run a wet sump, but use an external pump. Would be far cheaper than a full dry sump. Although 4k sounds a silly price
What do you run the pump off? How does it pick up the oil?

I need an expert at this Stevie, can you suggest anyone in N.Ireland to speak to? Stephen is the man for making me most things but he says he isn't confident enough about engines to start constructing a pump and putting his name to it.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

You'd basically just be doing a dry sump setup, but with a smaller pump and no dry sump.

So instead of a 2, 3 or 4 stage pump, you just need a single stage.

http://www.paceproducts.co.uk/public_ht ... s&parent=1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-22600/overview/

Drive setup would be the same as a full dry sump pump via the small toothed belt etc.

You would just need to hook this pump up to a new pickup inside the sump. Either a new one welded into the sump, or via a bulkhead fitting or similar passing through the sump.

Mounting the pump and making the drive setup would be the hardest bit. Sorting an actual pickup inside the sump would be fairly easy, it's just a bit of pipe after all.

Richard Bradley did similar with his RB26 for a while as it kept busting OEM oil pumps. Although as far as I know he has gone full dry sump now.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

choke

Post by choke »

Now that's a damn fine idea. I've never really been comfortable eight the idea of chopping and welding a pump. The thought of using something designed for the purpose from the off is far more reassuring. There should be plenty of room to drive the oil pump down the bottom of the engine (air con drive?)
Stupid question: how do you get the oil from the pump back into the engine?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

"Stupid question: how do you get the oil from the pump back into the engine?"

Actually not a stupid question at all, on my full dry sump system I come back into the engine at main the oil gallery in from where the oil filter would normally screw on. you can just use a remote filter take off and use the return side only. Either way this obviously means that the oil filter has to be mounted remotly, after the pump and before the oil gallery. On my set up I also had to blank off where the original oil pump would normally fit, you will have to do the same, this is to avoid the system bypassing straight back to the sump down the passage that would normally connect the oil pump to the filter. The biggest problem I had was getting my head around just how straight forward the whole thing is, it is dead simple! Without the multiple scavenge stages I have and no remote tank your set up will be even easier.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

So a few more questions about oil pumps.

The wet sump with the External pump certainly seems like a runner, the likes of a Pace single stage pump would work and would just need mounted.

but i would need spec of the standard pump pressure, flow rate etc in order to price a pump from Pace, where could i find this info?

But having looked at the BMW pump further, it seems that the main bulk of the pump is what looks like 2x pressure release valves, they are huge and if they could be done away with by modifying the existing pump then i could save myself money as i already have the pump and it would run from the standard chain drive making it more reliable in my eyes and make the pump 3.5inches less deep which would buy me the sump clearance i require.

Can anyone tell me why these release valves are there? what they do?

If i was to go full dry sump or wet sump external pump, these pumps wouldnt have the pressure release valves anyway. so why not just re engineer the standard pump to remove the valves?

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Better pics of the Release Valves from the original post -

The pump could be made to work in a much more compact way if these where removed and a new pick up was designed.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

It really is one brute of an oil pump.

I'm sure if you spoke to Pace, they could advise as to what sort of size a pump you need.

All pumps dump most of the oil out the pressure relief anyway, so are already oversized.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”