BMW 4.4ltr V8 into E36 Saloon..!

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

By the way here are the parts i have forsale since going Dry sump if anyone is looking to do a similar conversion.

So Ive got a new X5 4.4 Oil pump, It fits the 4L M60 and 4.4L M62 engine.

Brand new oil pump that hasnt even had oil through it.

I had a 6/8mm (would need to check) blank lasered out of steel that bolts to the bottom of the engine to start to make a sump from, and an 8L American V8 sump (w351 Ford) it matches up to the sump blank nicely like was used in the conversion here.

I have a Manual Flywheel, complete with used 540i clutch, Fly looks in good condition and clutch looks to have plenty of life left in it.

EDIT - flywheel is on ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261388426890? ... 1558.l2649

Sorry to admin if this i seen as a forsale post, im trying to pass these parts on to help someone do a similar conversion.

bahaah

Hydrolic Steering Pump

Post by bahaah »

Hello sir,
I am Bahaa From Lebanon Middle east.
I have an E36 sedan 1998 used to be a 320ia but now has an M60B40

Video >>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3uahkHKeU0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6dLPSe8yWM

I managed to succeed in this engine swap project by adopting your oilsump/pump technique.
So First of all thanks for posting and making this thread.

I am having a problem with the steering pump of the V8.
It is stalling at full lock and the belt makes a screaming sound and the engine stalls .
My suspension is stock apart from having :
M3 arms bushings
M3 front strut mounts
KONI Front shock absorbers/springs(blue colored).

So basically the geometry is not changed.
I was wondering if you had any similar issue since the V8's pump is much stronger than the on for the 6 Cyl since E34s had steering box and not rack and pinion.

Your Reply is really appreciated :)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Possibly a steering rack problem ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

bahaah

Post by bahaah »

stevieturbo wrote:Possibly a steering rack problem ?
Most probably not because I didnt have any issue when the 6 Cyl engine was in.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

The pump only creates pressure when the rack requests it.

So if the rack isnt moving too far or doing something strange. Maybe the two pumps are very different ?

There must be something causing excessive pressure and overloading the pump if it is actually making the engine stall and slip the belt.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

bahaah

Post by bahaah »

stevieturbo wrote:The pump only creates pressure when the rack requests it.

So if the rack isnt moving too far or doing something strange. Maybe the two pumps are very different ?

There must be something causing excessive pressure and overloading the pump if it is actually making the engine stall and slip the belt.
Yes you are right the pumps must be different this is why I'm asking the OP about it since he has an E36 rack too...

choke

Post by choke »

Does a power steering pump have a pressure relief valve that could be sticking?

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Hi Steve,

Hope the car is going well for you, i found this link on Youtube, i think its your car.

Very interested to know how the car is going for you, are these the M5 ITB's with a custom inlet manifold and trumpets all run with the Emerald?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mWgLqjwUAg

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hi Iain,

This is indeed my car, there are M5 throttle bodies with unique trumpets, they are direct to head on the M5 engine, but the heads are very different, in fact the only thing they have in common is the port spacing, so I made adapter plates from 10mm thick alloy bar and some trick bolts.....

It's also running M60 cams now, so hopefully some more power.....

I should point out that the exhaust is not on the car in the video, just had headers on.... 8) 8) 8)

Steve..

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Thanks for the update Steve, would you be interested in posting up some pics of the adaptors?

Where the trumpets available off the shelf for m5 TB's or did you have those made up too?

I'm keen to see the power and torque figures once it is all mapped. Have you driven it on the road yet?

I assume it all worked with the M5 injectors & fuel rail etc too?

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hi,

Not sure I have pics but I will check to make sure, the trumpets are made from 3 different pieces in the end, the bell from eBay, the bottom part made by my mate and some silicone, in the video the it only shows top and bottom parts taped together to run her up, you could just buy some trumpets from euro carb, I did look into it but couldn't decide on the length need for clearance and there not cheap when you have to buy 8 of them....

Yeah, I have driven the beast and it seems to behave ok, I have geared the linkage so it has a rising rate of travel as you increase pedal movement, which has actually made it smoother to drive than before, just got to sort the map out now, but as my boss has just bought the company (and I'm the operator) a rolling road that should be sorted soon...

I will search to see if I have pics...

Steve.

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Very keen to see your results on the rollers! Does it feel
Much faster to drive?

Is the m5 fly by wire? Be interested to see you linkages etc.

bmwcapri

Post by bmwcapri »

BMWE36V8 wrote: my boss has just bought the company (and I'm the operator) a rolling road that should be sorted soon...
ITB Dyno update please?!

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

bmwcapri wrote:
BMWE36V8 wrote: my boss has just bought the company (and I'm the operator) a rolling road that should be sorted soon...
ITB Dyno update please?!
Also keen to hear results, I've just got myself a set too for my M62.

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hi all,

Sorry for not posting any info lately I've been very busy at my new job...

Right after some serious messing about with cam timing, inlet trumpet length and 3 sessions on the dyno (over 15 hrs in total) I have some interesting results....

First dyno session she only managed 291hp@6900rpm not great and 275lb/ft@5200rpm still not great, this was with cams set to 109deg peak on both and inlet track length from the head of 200mm....

So back in the garage she went, did some research on M60 cams and the general school of thought is that there is to much valve overlap, so redial the cams...

Second dyno session power was up, good..??? Not really, 321hp@7100rpm, but torque very not good...!!! 255lb/ft@4900rpm, now I should point out at this point that nobody recommends revving the M62 past 6800rpm so this really did concern me and it characteristics of an BMW M3 six I wasn't happy...!!! Also the power was still climbing at 7100 and I chickened out..
The cams where set to 115deg peak on both and same inlet track....

Right so now what...??? I almost give up and pulled the motor.. But I'm no quitter, so back in the garage changed cam timing to 112deg inlet and 110deg exhaust, I also did some research on the inlet track length, the S62 M5 motor sufferers really badly from fitting really short inlet trumpets, so I had already had a set of the BMW original trumpets... So bugger it I fitted the aswell.... This took the inlet track total length from 200mm to 375mm approx...

Third dyno session, happier...?? Yes, sort of.. 357hp@6400rpm and 324lb/ft@5000rpm....

So now I should be happy, right...?? Well it's not the same to drive, it's very cammy, before if you put your foot down it would pull from no revs at all and pull to 6k, now it pulls from low down, not like it did, but if you where used to an M3 you'd be very happy, but in third gear as it goes past 5k (about 80mph) it starts to struggle for grip, even in the dry weather and that's with 245 tyres on it, its very unsettling to drive....😞😞

So I'm now going to make it more powerful, but more like it was, less revs and more linear, so all I'm going to say for now is M112....!!!😎😎😎

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”