BMW 4.4ltr V8 into E36 Saloon..!

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

choke

Post by choke »

Any more updates or vids? Also, one question: looking at your engine bay, do you think there's any room for a super charger?

dr_jekyll

Post by dr_jekyll »

ill be fitting this engine to out latest sprint/ race car. but ill be doing it a bit differentlyy. we are removing the bulkhead and we will sit the whole v8 behind the front axle . should be fun

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

dr_jekyll wrote:ill be fitting this engine to out latest sprint/ race car. but ill be doing it a bit differentlyy. we are removing the bulkhead and we will sit the whole v8 behind the front axle . should be fun
Into what shell? i suppose that is also an option for me too..

dr_jekyll

Post by dr_jekyll »

it will be an e36 coupe, the car will have a whole new floor. it will be a big job,but should make a great car

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

dr_jekyll wrote:it will be an e36 coupe, the car will have a whole new floor. it will be a big job,but should make a great car
Well i am sitting with a bare shell at the moment i suppose i could whole the whole lot back also!

dr_jekyll

Post by dr_jekyll »

whjat shell do you have? would be great if you do, we can comparenotes and iron out possible bumps faster

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

dr_jekyll wrote:whjat shell do you have? would be great if you do, we can comparenotes and iron out possible bumps faster
My m62 is going into a TR8 :)

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Steve,

Another question, Did you use the chain and Gear from the x5 pump or did you transfer the gears and all the ancillaries from the 540i oil pump onto the 5 pump?

From the BMW diagrams the X5 gear looks alot smaller than the 540i gear.

[img]

Iain
Last edited by Iain on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Hello Iain,

The sprocket is the same for both engines, but you will need the X5 chain it's slightly shorter....

Also you will need to change the pipe 17 on the 540i to pipe 14 from the X5...The bigger pipe is the same.. The little one is the oil feed to the timing chain, and as the pictures show has a step in the X5 pipe...

Hope this helps.

Steve.

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

BMWE36V8 wrote:Hello Iain,

The sprocket is the same for both engines, but you will need the X5 chain it's slightly shorter....

Also you will need to change the pipe 17 on the 540i to pipe 14 from the X5...The bigger pipe is the same.. The little one is the oil feed to the timing chain, and as the pictures show has a step in the X5 pipe...

Hope this helps.

Steve.
Thank you steve, Ive replied to your PM too!

choke

Post by choke »

Would an S52 clutch also fit?

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

choke wrote:Would an S52 clutch also fit?
Isnt that what he used - 96-99 s52 M3 6cyl clutch?

** edit he says he used S50, im sure the S52 is the same pattern but rated higher than the S50.

Have you also bought a lightened flywheel the same?

choke

Post by choke »

I've tried to message the guy, but had no reply. There's a seller on eBay who I've been in contact with, who can supply an M62 flywheel with the S50 stud pattern for £425, but then I found a clutch for the M52 (current engine/gearbox) rated for over 400 hp/ftlb, so just waiting on a reply. The reason I asked about the S52 was because that's all I could find at the time. Haven't made any purchases yet, as I'm trying to cost the whole project up at the moment

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

There is another company that does the flywheel £80 cheaper, I will try and dig out the link for the company when Im back to my laptop!

choke

Post by choke »

Cheeky! :-)

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”