BMW 4.4ltr V8 into E36 Saloon..!

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

So if i was to be able to remove the valves then it would create too much oil pressure for the engine potentially??

Pace where to call me back today but they didnt, ill try them again tomorrow.

You think pace should have the states and figures for the engine to match a pump to stevie?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Iain wrote:So if i was to be able to remove the valves then it would create too much oil pressure for the engine potentially??

You think pace should have the states and figures for the engine to match a pump to stevie?
It depends what they actually do, but a PRV is essential in any engine.

I'm sure they offer enough pumps and setups for different engines, they could make a reasonable guess. It is only an engine after all. I doubt it will be that much different to any other similar engine.

At least, you'd think they would know...sometimes places selling stuff can be clueless too lol.

Although it would do no harm to enquire with the dry sump guys if they could offer just a smaller pump/mount/drive kit as opposed to a full kit ?
Again, it would then give you a base for the future if you did then want to go full dry sump.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

stevieturbo wrote:
Iain wrote:So if i was to be able to remove the valves then it would create too much oil pressure for the engine potentially??

It depends what they actually do, but a PRV is essential in any engine.

I'm sure they offer enough pumps and setups for different engines, they could make a reasonable guess. It is only an engine after all. I doubt it will be that much different to any other similar engine.

At least, you'd think they would know...sometimes places selling stuff can be clueless too lol.

Although it would do no harm to enquire with the dry sump guys if they could offer just a smaller pump/mount/drive kit as opposed to a full kit ?
Again, it would then give you a base for the future if you did then want to go full dry sump.
Will make more enquires tomorrow :)

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

For anyone considering a similar installation, i have decided dry sump is the best way forwards for me.

So im selling -

- I have a steel sump lip/flange lasered out of 8mm steel,
- A new V8 american W351 sump that works with the X5 pump,
- X5 pump with all the bits required that i got new from BMW, has never had oil through it.

Looking to recoup some cash for the dry sump system, cost me about £5-600 in bits, open to offers.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Would BMW offer a refund on the new bits ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

stevieturbo wrote:Would BMW offer a refund on the new bits ?
Worth looking into i suppose stevie! didn't think about that!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Iain wrote:For anyone considering a similar installation, i have decided dry sump is the best way forwards for me.

So im selling -

- X5 pump with all the bits required that i got new from BMW, has never had oil through it.

Looking to recoup some cash for the dry sump system, cost me about £5-600 in bits, open to offers.
Have you just advertised this lot on Driftworks mate? Or did you sell it in the end?

I'm seriously looking at a BMW V8 for the R32 now as stock they put out more than a 1UZFE.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

chodjinn wrote:
Iain wrote:For anyone considering a similar installation, i have decided dry sump is the best way forwards for me.

So im selling -

Have you just advertised this lot on Driftworks mate? Or did you sell it in the end?

I'm seriously looking at a BMW V8 for the R32 now as stock they put out more than a 1UZFE.
Hi mate, I have replied to your pm, yes it is me that has the parts on drift works as well.

Best way to contact me is via my direct email - ileinster@hotmail.co.uk I'm not on here as often as I used to be.

As well as the parts listed above I also have a manual flywheel & clutch.

Iain

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Does anyone have decent engine dimension details for an M62 please?

I've sorta found some info online, but can anyone confirm?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... dimensions

cheers!

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

chodjinn wrote:Does anyone have decent engine dimension details for an M62 please?

I've sorta found some info online, but can anyone confirm?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... dimensions

cheers!
Sorry I don't, I'm 100miles from my engine at the moment
Too.

What about trying of drift works?

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Found it! After some rather dodgy drawings I managed to find some approximate measurments. Here compared to others for reference (inches, rounded up);

BMW M60/62 28 26 27

Lexus 1UZFE 28 26 25

Rover V8 20 28 28

(W, H, L)

If anyone could confirm that would be great.

choke

Post by choke »

Any takers on your parts Iain? I'm in the market for a sump flange, flywheel and updated clutch. Is your flywheel from the same place you messaged me about?

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

choke wrote:Any takers on your parts Iain? I'm in the market for a sump flange, flywheel and updated clutch. Is your flywheel from the same place you messaged me about?
Hi mate,

Had a few interested parties but all still available.

Drop me a PM or email - ileinster@hotmail.co.uk and we can discuss :)

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Having looked at things a bit closer this weekend, I don't think the BMW V8 will fit in the 'B engine bay without compromising the custom pedal box & tanks. It will be close with a 1UZFE, but the BMW is a bit wider from what I can tell. Plus, I've not been able to find a manual 540/740 that's not 200+ miles away which makes it even less viable for me unortunately. Shame, as they are great engines and has all the power I need for the MG!

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

chodjinn wrote:Having looked at things a bit closer this weekend, I don't think the BMW V8 will fit in the 'B engine bay without compromising the custom pedal box & tanks. It will be close with a 1UZFE, but the BMW is a bit wider from what I can tell. Plus, I've not been able to find a manual 540/740 that's not 200+ miles away which makes it even less viable for me unortunately. Shame, as they are great engines and has all the power I need for the MG!
They certainly take much more space than you would expect, we have had trouble getting ours exactly where we want it. It seems that it is now proving a simple conversion for the drifters into the Nissan 200sx, they seem to just cram is it in, and it works with the front sump hanging out over the subframe.

Not to clog up this thread but i have gone forward with mine in the TR8.

We have decided to build a complete new tubular lighter front subframe (mock up with light tubing at the moment), cut the bulkhead and pushed the whole engine back to have the full v8 behind the subframe.

Im hoping the engine mounts, exhausts, subframe, new bulkhead, shell, cage & atlas will be 4linked by the end of february.

Here are some of our testing phases getting the engine where we want.

Engine with dry sump pan fabricated, dry sump pump mounted & lightweight alternator. PAS & A/C Removed.

Manifolds i hope to use -

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”