Rover V8 + Volvo 144

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Erik

Rover V8 + Volvo 144

Post by Erik »

Hello all. New member from Norway. (sorry for the bad english :( ). I am planing to build a Rover V8 into my 1974 Volvo 144. The engine is coming from a 1977 Range Rover. Does anybody have any idea about hp and torq in this engine ? This is important for me because of the registration vith the new engine. Any god tip about a five speed tranny ? (have bean loking at some BMW gearbox) Thank you for all responce, and again sorry for bad english.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hello and welcome
the Range rover lumps are slightly different power output depending on region but the 3.5 is normally quoted at 146 bhp, the 3.9 at 168 bhp. However it would be worth checking the actual vehicle spec as these quoted figures can vary quite alot and may get you around regulations (the 3.5 in a stage 1 landrover is quoted at 92 bhp and the SD1 at 152)
The best bet for 5 speed gearboxes are the LT77 in 2wd form or the R380 again the 2wd version (better box of the 2) both need the same 2wd rover bell housing and will bolt on. The BMW box will need an adapter or custom bell housing.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Erik

Post by Erik »

Ok. Thank you for the response. I have a limit off 160 hk and 19 kpm vith the standard brakes. vath kind of car uses the LT 77 or the R 380 as a standard gear box ??

Erik

Post by Erik »

Ok. Now i have a probl :shock: I vil not pas the inspection we have here in Norway if the engine have more than 180 hk and 216 Nm. Is there ever ben made a Rover V8 vith less torq than 216 Nm ?? If there is an old Range eng or somthing, i might be able to use some dokuments from that engine. Realy ned som god advise here boys, a bit desperat now :lol:

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

The lowest output I can find is from a stage 1 Land Rover with 225Nm and that might not even be accurate as quoted figures for these engines are all over the place. I honestly dont think your going to find a Rover V8 with such a low output.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

if it has to be a v8 but you need less power (unusual around here ! :lol: 8) ) then why not use a daimler 2.5 v8, a very pretty engine but not exactly high output??
Foe LT77 in 2wd form, Tr7, rover SD1 in various forms, Sherpa van (but may have a very low 1st), R380 mainly sherpa van, again can have a low first, but the Range rover version can be used as a source of higher 1st gear rations.
Best regards
Mie
poppet valves rule!

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Land Rover built a 92 hp version of the 3,5 litre engine. I have no idea what the torque output is though.

Erik, send me your e-mail to jukka.harkola at polartest.fi. I´ll send you a copy of a document supplied by Land Rover regarding the 92 hp engine.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I think what he is after is paperwork for a low output engine but use a higher output one instead. shhhhh :wink:

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

minorv8 wrote:Land Rover built a 92 hp version of the 3,5 litre engine. I have no idea what the torque output is though.

Erik, send me your e-mail to jukka.harkola at polartest.fi. I´ll send you a copy of a document supplied by Land Rover regarding the 92 hp engine.
thats the engine I quoted the output for above so still too high for him.

Erik

Post by Erik »

Cheers boys. I guess i vil have to build in some Volvo 164 brakes etc to get it aproved. The Daimler V8 is a funny litle engine, but maybe a bit to smal ??

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”