V8 into a Volvo 740

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jerrywalker

V8 into a Volvo 740

Post by jerrywalker »

Hello all,

I have a Volvo 740 which I use as a workhorse, and whilst it is a fantastic car with regard to lugging large amounts of stuff around, it is somewhat underpowered!! It is the non-turbo 2 litre version, with 5-speed manual.

I know that the 2.3l turbocharged version is a little more lively, but frankly I'm looking for a little more power than that will afford.

The idea of a V8 struck me only recently, and it is certainly not short on space under the bonnet :D

I've 'googled' this subject, and have found that it has been done to this model quite a lot in the States, mostly with 5l Chevy engines.

I'm looking to put a 4.0l or 4.6l rover engine in my Volvo, but frankly have NO idea where to start! Can anybody give me any advice?

Many thanks in advance -

Regards,

Jerry

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I reckon your biggest problem will be an adaptor plate to mate up to the transmission.

Alternatively you could get one with the ZF4HP22 gearbox, as there is a bellhousing for the RV8. But it's automatic.....

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Jerry

It may pay to look at a Chevy engine instead

In the for sale department below there is a bloke advertising engines at reasonable prices

You could also get a "cut out" from the USA at about $500 - $800 plus shipping etc - less than £1000 delivered UK if you do your homework

Once you decide to go for "big power" the Chevy is probably the cheapest tof the go fast parts

You'll still need the adaptor plate etc but again probably more Chev engines in Kit cars than any other so someone will have the specs for an adaptor plate

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

For inspiration, forum member Volvord's 302'd one http://www.volvord.com
He's not around the board anymore unfortunately.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

even a 4.6 isnt that powerful until you tune it and that costs £££££. I think the Ford or Chevy suggestions are your best bet and will cost less.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”