Vitesse motor in mk 1 cortina

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

djstaffy

Vitesse motor in mk 1 cortina

Post by djstaffy »

Hi everybody just got hold of sd1 vitesse with manual box, engine is good & gearbox all works
Thinking of holley 390carb , mallory elec dizzy, block hugger headers
what rad can i use in my cortina ,any suggestions, for back axle too (3.0 capri?)
gonna change to steerin rack front end
any advice welcome
will be breaking rest of vitesse v .soon too if anyone intrested
thanks
djstaffy

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Welcome, not the first person to fit a RV8 into a cortina :D
The fella to talk to is Demo2, he has a very well sorted Mk1 RV8,
A 3.0 capri rad would probably suffice, as long as it is in top condition, I originally used a Granada 2.8i rad, but it was marginal, and eventually found a Custom made Ally rad, based on the granada item, but you will have to get a P5 water pump, bottom pulley and alt mount, as they are a lot shorter than the SDi. I have also seen pointy nose diesel transit rads and Cosworth sierra one mounted behind/inside the slam panel,
Personally I would keep the injection, its only 4 wires needed from the loom, and an extra fuel line, better fuel consumption and better performance!!
Tunnel will deffo need to be cut out at the front as the RV8 bellhousing is HUGE, you would probably have to find a Sherpa or Jag remote as the standard gearlever comes out quite far back, the top of the tunnel will need opening up to get the box in and so will the up and over X member.
Clutch is simple, use a remote Reservior master cyl from Rally Design, and machine 5-6 mm off the engine side of the cylinder, [its not goint to cause you a problem as clutches work on a relativly low pressure compared to brakes.] this will give you room for the rocker cover, and if you use early style covere this will give yuo plenty of room
Sump, you will need to cut n shut the sump as it will interfere with the rack when you fit one,
fit the rack conversion as the first job to do, as it will determine the position of everything you wish to fit,
Back axle, Mk1 Capri Atlas is a good choice, but you would be advised to fit a 2.8 lsd diff, better location of the axle is a must, as the used to tramp, even with the 1200, 2.8i Capri springs will fit if you juggle around with the bushes,
Ian :D
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

djstaffy

Post by djstaffy »

Ian
thanks for all the info, a great help
Danny

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”