toyota hilux conversion??

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

oflynno

toyota hilux conversion??

Post by oflynno »

has anyone done one here?
i have scrolled around and can't see any yet

i am guilty of thinking of going ahead with this but with a 2wd hilux instead of a 4wd

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Pretty sure there are a few more round here but here is one for starters http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749

Action Man

Post by Action Man »

Oflynno
I've done one in my Hi-lux

used a conversion kit from CPE , which is the kit everyone uses ... mates the V8 to the toyota box...

Was a lot easier than I thought it would be ...

Old Eng out / cut off eng mounts / Take rad out ..

Fit new bell housing to G/box (part of CPE KIT)

Fit new mounts to V8 (part of CPE KIT), use original toyota rubbers , Lower into place...

Tack in new mounts.... unbolt mounts ,,, lift out eng...

weld up mounts..... fit modded flywheel and new clutch & release bearing.

Refit V8 .... pipe everything up....

Good news is the rover power stearing pump mates up to the toyota hoses,,, and the rad ..... as long as it's a good one works fine...

a 2WD one will be easier to route the exhaust pipes on, cos you don't have to get past the front diff ... I used Pop Brown 4-1 headers and had the pipes made up to miss everything..... However I also have a 3" lift kit on the suspension and the RHS pipe still brushed the front diff on full compression ....so that had to be made again and tuck in close to the sump..

Errr if anyone has a good pic hosting place I can use I'll stick a load of pics up of my efforts 8)

Action Man

Post by Action Man »

Oh forgot to add ... I use an Edelbrock manifold (std one not the low one) and a Holly carb and a 2" pan filter ... and it all fits under the bonnet with enough clearance..

Only tight bit is you need to dress back the snail cam cover on the handbrake cable at the firewall and trim a bit off the back of the rockerbox cover ..... only a couple of mm off each to get a snug fit ....

Std box and diffs will stnd the power of a mild 3.5 .... I'd guess mine is putting out 120 .... and it fair lifts off compared to std ( which is abuot 75 to 80 BHP) ....

Also you need to use the SHORT NOSE water pump ,remover the Rover viscous fan then grind off the mounting threads , back to the pully boss ... this then gives you about 10mm clearance behind the rad .... if you also knock the rad mounts of yer pick up forwards ( closes to the grill ) then you end up with abuot 20mm clearance .... mount twin electric fans to teh front of the rad and away you go

I'm gonna fit a nice new motor from BAE this winter though ...200 BHP ... but I'm told the Toyota boxes are good for it as long as you don't rag them and do loads of wheelspinning starts .......

Only thing to note is that with a suspension lift and all that extra torque,,, they can get a bit sideways in the wet if you have poor throttle control .... or very sideways if you are good enough ...... not been in a ditch yet :oops:

leon01323

Hey

Post by leon01323 »

Im new but i know "oflynno" from another forum and i am also doing the same convertion into the lux....red your post action man gave me a bit more confidence so thanks

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”