Hello and V8 into a landy

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You'll have to cut down that water pump a bit!

I found with my 4.6 that the std. series radiator + electric fan wasn't up to the job. I had a special rad made (a modified Freight Rover 300 series with a 3 row core) which helped, but still cruising at 90mph causes the temp gauge to creep......

Chris.

--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

satancom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by satancom »

Yeah when I take the radiator off again I will cut the waterpump down a bit.

The rad is in good shape and is an ex-mod radio truck unit so should be good with an electric fan.. I will see how it goes :)

Having a problem with the starter at the moment, bought a new unit and it was dead out of the box, which is frustrating as the shops shut till monday now! I also discovered that the carbs leaked when they were full, so I got a seal kit and replaced all the seals in them whilst I was at it!

satancom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by satancom »

Well everything is progressing well. New starter put on the engine and she spun round fine.

The engines been fired up and runs well, a bit lumpy but the timing has only been set by ear, and I have never done it before so a bit of a surprise she runs at all :roll:

Radiators been plumbed in along with some pipework for the air filter and breathers. Got her up to temp today and she seems to be quite happy, although struggles to idel, again I believe this is probably down to the timing,

I fitted the clutch slave cylinder and drove her up my driveway.. Ohhh it sounds good... Need to sort out the exhausts now though! Think my neighbours are ready to kill me!

satancom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by satancom »

Well a few more pics, I have fitted all the pipework now, along with a temporary air filter, and also a fan wired to a switch. I will get it on a stat at soem point.

Also got the waterpump chopped down!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Couple of observations:
- That electric fan is too small. You will probably have issues in hot weather.
- The rad top hose is that universal stuff. I used some once, but after a couple of years it snapped. I discovered that there is no cotton reinforcement in there, it's just rubber! Nowadays I go to the scrapyard and find bits of proper pipe that fit.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

satancom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by satancom »

The fan was a freebie and will be left on when its sent for its mot to stop the MOT lads cooking it :) I also have a nice length of proper hose now and will fit that at a later date. Im just trying to get it running and through its MOT for as little as possible at the moment. I have no funds to buy what I need, but once its MOT'd I can sell my daily driver and free up about £2k allowing me to finnish the project off at my leaisure using better parts.

I wasn't sure if the Fan would be big enough, but will take you advice and keep my eyes peeled for something larger. Im constantly scrapping vehicles so should find something :)

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I've got a single 16" fan which is OK.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

satancom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by satancom »

I have been struggling with the exhaust for the last few weeks. The downpipes were contacting (in a big way) the second cross member on my landy.

So after lots of hunting about on the web, and talking to some of the local guys in the area the only options were to run the exhausts under the cross member and reduce ground clearence OR remove the cross member and drop in a removable one.

So I chopped it out the way :)

The rest of the pipework has a pretty straight run over the rest of the chassis and is kept out of harms way, I used the rover downpipes, then some flexi (still to be cut to lenght) into the rover Y-pipe then onto some more flexi (needs to be cut) onto a Honda rear section with silencer :)

Chopped everything to length and then got it welded up at my mates garage. Some of its clamped together to allow easy removal/installation.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I used that flexi once - it was great for a while, then went rusty and seized up, then snapped!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

satancom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by satancom »

The plan is to eventually get in there with a welder and weld the flexi int a solid piece (few spot welds) and remove it. Then using it as a template get an exhaust made up out of proper piping!

Got it on today, it sounds lovely :)

satancom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by satancom »

MOT today :shock:

simontwithers

distributor position

Post by simontwithers »

Hi, a quick question about the position of the distributor in the photos for the v8 guru's out there.

On my engine the vacuum diaphragm is round by the thermostat housing 10 o'clock position , but in these photos the diaphragm is at 4 o'clock which is right ???

Good luck with the build.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: distributor position

Post by ChrisJC »

simontwithers wrote:Hi, a quick question about the position of the distributor in the photos for the v8 guru's out there.

On my engine the vacuum diaphragm is round by the thermostat housing 10 o'clock position , but in these photos the diaphragm is at 4 o'clock which is right ???

Good luck with the build.
It should be by the thermostat housing, however it doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't foul anything and gives enough rotational freedom to adjust the timing.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

simontwithers

Post by simontwithers »

thanks chris, i thought that after i'd posted.

satancom
Getting There
Getting There

Post by satancom »

It passed its MOT and now has around 1000 niles under its belt and a good few of them have been off road (mostly pootling about).

Just dropped the oil out for the first time and have done a few minor updates with the oil delivery. Also the sump gasket has been replaced as it was weeping slightly :)

Cheers for everyones advice!

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”