Rover V8 into Cortina Mk1 estate

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

nevhall

Post by nevhall »

Well.

The he had the loom for the efi and to be honest it freaks me out. I'm sure if you've done it before and have a good understanding of electrics it is only "4 wires" :lol: No way Id sus it out though. I've got efi on my bikes and its not home user friendly if you want to play around with it. And when it goes wrong....... :lol:

I meant to ask on my last post whats the most suitable box for my motor? Seen a 4-speed manual from a p6 for sale, any use? Are early boxes interchangable onto later engines without any fuss? Can I use the bellhousing off the box that come with the engine?

So many questions........... :P

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

don't be afraid ... it's a lot easier than the bike one's
trust me i'n bodger ...lol

no really , it is very simple and it's all on this forum , http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150

you won't be able to use the rangerover bell housing for a 2wd box , there are a few boxes you can use , if you want a 5 speed the cheapest is the LT77 , that was fitted in LDV vans , triumph TR7 ( which is what i have in mine) the rover SD1 loads of them ( that what i'm building , the gearbox) the gear ratios tend to vary a bit , but it's only the 5th gear that varies and they fitted a larger diameter output shaft to the later ones ( which is a right pain in the a**e as the bearings are rocking horse s**t
you try finding a 27.5 ID x 55.00 OD roller bearing , and for the sake of 2.5mm ( early ones are 25.0 ID X 55 OD )
and if you don't want to thrash the life out of it , it will do you nicely and not TOO Much money , the bell housing tends to be the expensive bit
or you could go for the later and stronger ( some say ) R380 ,m and there are some more , tend to be used for those who race them
i have probably forgotten something ....
but if you have all the bits for the EFI ( airflow meter / ECU ( large silver box ) and resistor pack ( smaller silver box))
keep it , it's very simple to setup and needs no lambada sensors or any other fancy bits
remember it's only a bodge if it DOSN'T worK

nevhall

Post by nevhall »

I didn't take any EFI bits, all I've got is all the bits on the manifold, no loom or silver boxes. Doesn't matter though.

So will I need a later type gearbox to suit my engine? With the rocking horse poop bearings? :) I'm gonna pull the flywheel and gubbins off later to measure it.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Dont bother with the 4 speed from a P6s not really up to the job,
5 speeds are plentyful if you keep looking, Ill have a look and see whats under the bench up the shed, I know theres a 5 speed up there, which I started to convert to take a Hydraulic bearing, probably have a bellhousing as well,
Dont hold your breath, I will have a rummage soon,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”