MK2 Granada v8?

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Garth84x
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Garth84x »

does the carb'd v8 have a fuel pump on the engine like the old 2.8 or a electric pump?

if electric will the standard 2.8i pump be good enough?

Garry

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

depends on the age of the engine but generally its electric. An injection pump isnt suitable for use with carbs as its far too high a pressure. It is possible to regulate it but not worth the bother and to do right could cost more than buying a proper fuel pump.

Garth84x
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Garth84x »

what pump is the one to use, bearing in mind that a in tank pump can't happen.

what psi is needed to run the carbs?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

katanaman wrote:depends on the age of the engine but generally its electric. An injection pump isnt suitable for use with carbs as its far too high a pressure. It is possible to regulate it but not worth the bother and to do right could cost more than buying a proper fuel pump.
With a return style regulator, an efi pump will work just fine with carbs. I ran my old RV8 TT car with a Holley like this for years.

If your car already has an efi pump etc, it would almost be silly not to use it.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Garth84x
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Garth84x »

stevie, will the v8 not mount on the original ford mounts as it looks as though it just might judging by the mounts that are on the engine (mid 70's range rover)

iv'e got a sd1 sump to go on, looks as though the water pump may be a bit on the long side.

Garry

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

My old RV8 was mounted using typical SD1 steel mounts, and a Ford rubber bobbin style rubber.

Round rubber, with a M10 stud sticking out either side, into the Granada subframe mounts.

It was very straightforward. I think there might have been a spacer or 2 in there somewhere too, but thats just a matter of trial and error.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Garth84x
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Garth84x »

cheers stevie, always helpfull to be able to speak to someone who's done what your planning to do (when the rain stops) :lol:

garry

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Although it is worth mentioning....

The last mounts I used where as described. But instead of rubber bobbins, I got a bit of 2" steel bar, with a 10mm hole in the middle, and used it instead.

Basically bolting the engine solidly into the cradle. Saves a lot of hassle in terms of exhaust movement with soft mountings.

I also removed the rubber front subframe mounts, and replaced them with steel bar in a similar fashion, so the front suspension cradle is solid mounted to.

Its amazing how much rubber they use !!!!
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

beelzebubs
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by beelzebubs »

hokily dokily, here is my first post on this forum.

I have a Mk1 Granny Coupe, currently fitted with a rover v8, from the 10A engine code I have a manual SD1 lump, and the sump has been cut to fit the cross member. It has the Gmbox with the granny gearbox mounting spaced with four 2 inch spacers to get the hight right.

engine setting is paramount as the oil filter only clears the anti rollbar by less than 6mm, lift the engine any higher and the gear box will be hitting the ground one speed bumps.

My exhaust is cusom made for the job, the standard N/s manifold would be fine, its th O/s that has issues with the stearing.

The Su's fit under the bonnet just fine, but I couldnt be bothered with the hastles of petrol, so I binned the su manifold and fitted an injection manifold, filled in the injector holes, plugged up the cold start valve hole and I run solely on lpg.

Dependent on which fueling system you go with, make sure the vacuum take off for your box is of the correct diameter, or you will kill your gearbox with in a week, like I have.

You will also need to cut back your slam panel so you can recess the rad...apart from the above, its the best thing you can do to a mk1 or 2.....or any car needing an engine for that matter.

here is how it sounds, the second attempt at turning the key, first attemp was a disater.

http://www.granadaclassics.com/vroom.htm

Garth84x
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Garth84x »

stevie... did you have to modify the heater matrix pipes that come out the firewall? as my engine fouls on them?

also could you send me those pics again as my computer has somehow lost em :oops:

cheers

garry

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

No, my engine was low enough to clear those......well, just about. But make them as short as possible.

Which pics ???? I cant quite remember.

Ive emailed some...I think to the correct address lol
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Garth84x
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Garth84x »

cheers stevie

Garth84x
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Garth84x »

update...

engine in and drivetrain sorted

gotta sort out the exhaust and put all the pas and alternator stuff on.

going well so far, hope all is well when the key is turned

dafman

ref 24v

Post by dafman »

if you still have your 24 v engine would you be looking to sell it many thanks jono

Garth84x
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Garth84x »

No sorry, it was sold many moons ago.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”