Engine swap issues - getting it in and located.

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Engine swap issues - getting it in and located.

Post by Lewis »

Righto, basically I've got to the point where I do have a candidate for an engine swap - it's a two door Toledo, slightly cosmetically challenged but very solid in the right places :D

As standard, the Sprint axle I'll fit will take 300ft.lb without too much hassle and for the time being that'll be the 'limit'. I guess traction will be negligible anyway - so it probably won't matter if it's over that.

Car in question.

I'm thinking of going along with a Chevy 350 for the time being, nothing fancy, just to get going and get motoring - or something along those lines, at least.

Hell, I guess I could even go Rover, again. Every time someone slates them, another one with a great spec and output comes along to dazzle me :lol:

Also quite tempted by a few oddball ones at the moment too.....

However (here's the crux) - I don't, as I'm at uni, have the facilities to get the old engine out, mounts in and the engine sited in the bay and properly secured with it's boxed. Fettling, wiring and plumbing etc I can probably just about get away with.

As such, my only options are :

a) To wait

b) To have someone do it for me.

Now obviously A is fairly straightforwards but no fun.

B, on the other hand, well, the problem is finding somewhere that can actually deal with that kind of process.

Has anyone had any experiencing outsourcing this kind of task? I'm not sure whether it's a solid proposition or not, to be honest, and as such am flapping slightly about it.

I have a few associates I've spoken to who've said they'd take on work like this (for under four figures), basically get it running and driving, which seems quite tempting......

If I wait, come Easter holidays I could do it then....possibly - but my life's busy at the moment....

Any suggestions, comments or advice? Obviously, with someone else undertaking the work, there's the potential for issues when something's not done right...

Oh, and if anyone has any engine suggestions barring Chevy/Rover, or thinks something might be more suited than the other, shout! Any suggestions welcome.

Potentially including a turbo Rotary, but not so keen. I think it's got to be a V8, mate!

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Also - it'll probably be an auto - so less grief with plumbing and general fitment although the tunnel will have to come out, no doubt. Decided that as a 'concept' prover, it's probably the best, cheapest way and will also ensure some of the grief is removed from the drivetrain and shell :)

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

at the risk of repeating myself a 5.3 or 4.8 ls* with gearbox from the states is about the best VFM going at the moment. Someone on here is even offering cheep shipping if you can get it to them.
John at Armour fabrications in Ilchester (01933355560) has done some fabrication work for me in the past, he does alot of work on rods and customs and his work is good and his rates are good, however as a result he is normally booked up forever! he would probably not get you started before Easter.
I would think your best idea is to plan it out and look for an engine first and before you know it Easter will be upon you.
a Gen 1 350 chevy will give you more than 350ftlb of torque, in facct pretty well anything over 5 litres will give you that so so I think your rear axel will be a bit marginal :( .
Best of luck
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Best I just keep it on the stock ~165s for the time being then :lol:

Thanks for the link though, I might give him a shout. I've got another one who's going to give me an approximate quote as well, so looking forward to that.

It would probably be a Gen 1 I go with, I adore the TPi motors (which as standard make ~320ft.lb) so the tyres will be the "safety" in the drivetrain, until I work out what to run with.

Phil, who was going to run the AJP in the Sprint, was going to use a narrowed 4HLA (I think) with a slipper, so I might ask him about that.

I'll have a look at the LSs!

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Oh and slightly off topic, how are Chevy V8's mounted? Is it one-per side?

Never actually looked at either of mine....

V6GTE

Post by V6GTE »

I saw a Dolly V8 at Himley (Dudley West Mids) last year and it was awesome. Certainly turned loads of heads despite the company it was keeping. (Ford model Y Hotrod, GT40 replica etc) I have some pics if you want to see it. Paintwork was superb too, a pearl red and silver, very expertly done!
V8 Scimitar GTE! well......... it soon will be

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

I know the one! Yea, someone's put an awful lot of work into that.

I had one with a 3.5 EFi lump in it but it's since dropped off the radar, I think something might have happened to it.

They make really, really nice cars with those motors in 'em.

Hmm......

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Well, I've been speaking to an associate who can do it all for me - and have it a 'turnkey' job, basically drive in, drive it out with a V8.

However, it'd be an SD1 3.5, autobox (so I'm guessing BW65?).

Whilst not my ideal scenario, I guess if that were done, then I could easily build up my own say, Hi-Po 3.9 or 4.0 at my own pace then swap it in?

What's a BW65 like at handling power...

Where's Perry when you need him :lol:

I guess Rover V8 keeps it British as well and if I'm honest it's the noise I'm after, not so much ultimate power because I've come to the realisation you can't use it on the road (within reason) and a light, small car with a noisy, relatively powerful engine can be much more fun!

Could always go the N20 route in that instance as well....

<rambles on> :lol:

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

Lewis wrote:Well, I've been speaking to an associate who can do it all for me - and have it a 'turnkey' job, basically drive in, drive it out with a V8.

However, it'd be an SD1 3.5, autobox (so I'm guessing BW65?).

Whilst not my ideal scenario, I guess if that were done, then I could easily build up my own say, Hi-Po 3.9 or 4.0 at my own pace then swap it in?

What's a BW65 like at handling power...

Where's Perry when you need him :lol:

I guess Rover V8 keeps it British as well and if I'm honest it's the noise I'm after, not so much ultimate power because I've come to the realisation you can't use it on the road (within reason) and a light, small car with a noisy, relatively powerful engine can be much more fun!

Could always go the N20 route in that instance as well....

<rambles on> :lol:
BW, or a GM 180 tranny.

At least, looking on the bright side, it'll be light, so you won't need a complete front suspension rebuild/swap, like you would if you dropped an iron 350 Chev in there. :D

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Yea - that's one thing that's been playing on my mind too.

As much as I'd love a "balls to the wall, mega HP" project, I just don't think it's reasonable with the funds or time I have at the moment.

The shell, for one, will start to give grief around 400ft.lb and I'd rather have a nice safety factor instead, plus it'll still be jolly fun and I could always punch laughing gas in for a thrill ride when needed.

I want something I can use, rather than something that's a liability, on my budget, if you know what I mean..

Set of Spax shocks, dropped an inch, appropriate springs, polybushes on the rear, I'll sort the brakes at the front and put some decent bits in the steering, be well sorted I think.

Can you get uprated shifters for the BW/GM boxes? I've always wanted a ratchet shift or similar :twisted:

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Be a bit careful with the autobox - if it's a 3 speed then top gear will be 1:1. I think the SD1 had a rear axle with about 2.8:1 ratio to stop the engine screaming

I would stick with the Rover because it's light, but I'd get a four speed auto.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Just remembered a minor drawback with tail-happy autos. When I run my Landie in 2WD, if it changes gear on a corner, it tends to spin (spin the vehicle, not just spin the wheels)

You might need something better than 165 bike tyres.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Lewis
If you are looking for an auto box to fit to your motor.
I have a brand new TH350 streetfighter with the bell housing modded to fit a Rover V8. A Rover to Chev adator plate, A new Holeshot 2400 torque converter, and a brand new pilot bush to mate the chev converter hook up to the Rover crankshaft. I even have a second hand B&M Ratchet shifter to go with it. The only thing that missing from the kit is a Buick flex plate. I've shelved the Fiesta project now to go hardcore on the MGB. This is why I have all this stuff laying around. My old stage 2 3.5litre nitrous engine has already been spoken for though.
If you want to pop over and have a look at the stuff let me know.
Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”