engine upgrade

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

engine upgrade

Post by ppyvabw »

I am going through one of my phases where I want to ditch the 3.5 and put a bigger one in my b. There are a few on fleabay at the moment, but I am torn as to what my best option will be.

1st question
I would like to go to 4.6, but I don't want to replace my lt77 box and original b axle. Will the LT77 box and b tube axle cope with a mildly worked over 4.6, I'm thinking not. I reckon the LT77 is good for 300hp ish. There's a school of thought that says mgb axles are unbreakable, except I have managed to break one in a 3.5 :lol:

My other option is a mad 3.9. What's the best thing to do here in your opinion.

2nd question

I've asked something similar ages ago, but then got bored of the idea until I was shamefully burned off the other day by a chav in a souped up mr2. There's a cross bolt 4.0L but it's miles away and has the wrong bits on and a 3.9 that's right next door, with all the right bits on i.e front cover... How much of an advantage is the cross bolt block if i want to make a screamer? Will studs and a girdle be just as effective?

3rd question.
I'd like to inject it. The engines I'm looking at come with injection manifolds, but I want to keep my mgc bonnet. I know the rv8 had a funny shaped bulge over the plenum. Has anyone squeezed such a thing under a normal b or c bonnet? I know nothing about injection systems, are there different ones with different heights or stuff? what combination of stuff could I use? I don't even know what system there are. Any advice at all about this would be usefull.

4th question
What sort of money would a mildly worked over 3.5 fetch with 20000 miles on with some of it's bits on, carb dizzy etc....

Replies much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

MGB axles are solid. Theres a member on here putting 350bhp + through a MGBV8 axle.
Its how you put the power down that is the difference between the axle taking it and breaking.

4.6 V8 will be a laugh. Thats what my BGT is getting.
Image -JC.

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

what about the gearbox though?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The R380 is newer than the LT77, presumably it's an improvement.....

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

No idea if the LT77 will take it. I converted mine to a 3.5 using an LT77 but decided I didnt like it. I'm putting a powerglide in instead. A TH350/400 would be a good swap too.
Image -JC.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”