Chevy 5.0 into Mk1 capri.

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Raw

Chevy 5.0 into Mk1 capri.

Post by Raw »

Took the bull by the horns over the holiday period and purchased a Chevy 305cu V8 5.0 with TH350 auto box, for a Mk1 Capri

Will be starting into it soon so I expect I will be looking for loads of advise from ye here.

I'm a bit worried about the steering column and the engine weight but the things can't always be easy.

Maybe someone can answer this.......that the 305cu 1975 with cast heads can weight up to 42stone?

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

If thats 600lbs region, sounds about right. Not sure if that includes ancillaries but there's sites around the web that list engine weights, hopefully they'd mention if thats all-up or naked.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Another Chevy!... top stuff 305 is an interesting engine to start with, are you sticking with cast iron heads? changing to ally intake and heads knocks off over 100lb, but intake wise the 305 can make good power without fancy heads.
Best of luck
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Raw

Chevy 5.0

Post by Raw »

I have the the option of getting 5.7 heads for the engine. I'm not too sure if there worth getting perhaps ye can advise.

The spec is below:
Chevy 305cu 5.0litre V8 rebuilt with Edelbrock Performer Plus Cam and lifters
Competition Cams valve springs & collets.
HEI distributor
600 cfm vacuum secondary Holley Carb
Holley trick kit (still boxed).
Holley Contender Inlet Manifold
TH350 auto box with B&M manual valve body & adjustable vacuum modulator
B&M Quiksilver ratchet shifter
5ft heavy duty race shifter cable
standard torque converter and flex plate

I know a guy who got a stroker kit from the US for his Chevy and it now is running 6.3litres? I might look at this down the line so I suppose the 5.7 heads would be useful then.

Wee_chris
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Wee_chris »

Found this on the V8 Cjurch website ( v8church.co.uk), have a look at the site it has the weights for a few V8's look under choosing a V8.

* Width = 26'
* Length = 28'
* Height = 27'
* Weight = 575 lbs (525 lbs with ally heads)
* Note: Approx, will vary depending upon nature of ancillaries fitted.

What made you decide on the Th 350 ins tead of the 700R4, the R4 has speed plus overdrive. Not sure if it stronger or anything like that, I think its the newer version of box. I could be wrong though and sure somebody will let me know if I am.
It's taken longer than I thought !!

Raw

Weight

Post by Raw »

Thanks for that info, I will checkout that site.

The 3 speed was what came with the engine, but I don't plan for it to stay in it for too long, I was thinking of going manual with a T5.

Do you know if the 700r4 with fit the bell housing and shifter I have? As this may be a bettter option.

I was told the engine should put out around 300bhp???????

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Depends on the heads and all sorts, unfortunately it seems plenty folks with an SBC think throwing a cam at it means it must make it 300bhp. Though in reality some of them started at 120bhp.
If you get the head casting number you can srch the net and usually find opinions on the performance/potential and characteristics of particular head castings.

A mate and a client who builds yank V8s likes the 305 and says it can make nice high-revving horsepower, around the 300 mark without breaking the bank. But what that level of tune entails, I don't know. There's sites around with specific 305 tuning info, worth a srch.

Wee_chris
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Wee_chris »

From what I hear the two are inter changable.

But not sure.
1980's Camaros used both boxes I have an IRoc with a 5.7 engine that has the 700r4and also have a 5 litre with a 700r4 box to replace the baby v6 in one of my camaros.

My friend has a 5.7 with a TH350 on motorway cruises my one returns better milage and when hitting the loud pedal in town pulls better faster, not sure if down to my engine being in better condition or what.

Hope this helps
It's taken longer than I thought !!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Raw wrote

"I know a guy who got a stroker kit from the US for his Chevy and it now is running 6.3litres? I might look at this down the line so I suppose the 5.7 heads would be useful then."

I know someone who did this aswell :D :D

http://www.v-8.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2144

Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Raw

Wow

Post by Raw »

Can't really manage words!

:nw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Are you planning a rebuild on this or is it together and are you "just" going to have to drop it in? There are some good rebuild articles for the 305 on some of the american magazine websites (I think engine masters did a an article on the 305 ish small blocks from ford chevy and Mopar about 15 months ago) all three made serious power with relativly straight forward stuff. Because the 305 is basically a small bore 350 the crank is well within spec and 350 heads are not much of a restriction, also you get lots of lift from the cam relative to the bore, the net result is although the valves are a little more shrouded by the bores provided you don't go silly on the valve sizes then they don't notice it. the only issue can be getting enough CR with 350 heads but flattop pistons and a good skim can sort that out. I presume it is a 2 bolt main block?? I think all the 305 blocks are.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Raw

Drop in

Post by Raw »

Mike,

The engine is together and I plan to put it in frist and see how it is.
I'm a bit concerned with its weight and the effect this might have on the car.

I have been told that it is around 300bhp but I would be happy if it came near 250bhp.

If all goes well with the fittment, I will then look at building it up. I think around the 400bhp mark would be more than enough for the car and me! :D

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Raw

Engine numbers

Post by Raw »

Well got the engine and decided to re-build it before it goes in.

Here are the numbers I could get off the block and two sets of heads.

No 1 set of heads that were on the engine. supposed to be 5.0.
Inlet valves 43mm
Out let valves 38mm

Number on the head. T GM20 I3076 353434
The head gasket number HG31016.
Numbers under inlet ports 484 20

No 2 set of heads supposed 5.7 heads.
Inlet valves 49mm
Outlet valves 38mm

Numbers on head 1. (5.7) 8788461 GM4 G32 16
Undet inlet ports head 1. X 461 1 61

No. on the head of 2nd heads (5.7). 8482461 80 Gm 3 C183 13
Under inlet ports of 2nd head. X 461 2 61

Block numbers (supposed to be 1975 5.0 302cu.) These were very hard to read cos of paint.

G 6 16 - 76T5
On l/h rear. Gov 2
On R/H rear GM 256 838

Inside the rear cover. HLH

Three core plugs on rear.
One core plugs on either side.
Two core plugs on front.

The Inlet manifold is A Holley Contender

70IR- 36
300 - 36 117 A
AN inlet and outlet of coolant.

The pistons on one side had 10 stamp on 3 of the piston heads and 9 stamp on the other piston.
They are flat head pistons.

What I really need to do is find out what cu the heads are. I will go with the heads with the bigger valves. Then depending on this I will have to decide if I need new pistion. I will defo be getting all gaaskets, bearings and shells replaced..

There is new lifters, valve springs & collets. I will find out tonight what Cam is in the engine.

Anyway, hope this makes some since to someone. All advise greatly apprechiated.

Padraig

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Can't remember, but I think mortec.com gives cc. Also have a google on the casting no's (the 6-digit ones). Some 70s heads are prone to cracking, I had a set, can't remember the number now, but don't think it was the same as yours. But a general search is worth doing on the numbers.

(ps - i found the casting nos on my heads were hard to read, so try variations if not 100% sure).

As well as a general bit of googling, chevytalk is a good forum, might be worth a srch through that.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”