302 into a Mk3 Cortina

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Phill
I used CNC motorsport on ebay for my chevy kit ok appart from an extra $100 went on the p and p between quote by email and putting it on the invoice :? kit was good and the price of the whole lot good despite ithe P&P.
I would have a serious look at Mad dog racing on ebay aswell, nearly went with them.....
Comp cams handle Racing head services heads and are a good way to get your cam, lifters etc. good to deal withgot my money monday ground my custom cam tuesday on a delivered my cam to uk customs on the friday got it out of uk customs following tuesday...
That is a point, if you can get them to send the stuff by american postal service it is picked up here by parcel force and does not get stuck in customs the way it does with Fed ex :( ,(they can take any payment on delivery at your door for VAT and duty) UPS also have "bonded" vans like Parcel force but they can only take cash, exact money they dont carry change, no cards and cheques take 3 days to clear! :lol:
Best of luck
Mike

poppet valves rule!

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

The RHS stuff I have seen has been top notch kit, A Mate had one of their 425 HP SBC engines in their 40 ford Pickup, once the traction problems had been sorted the truck ran 11s!!!!
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

Cortinaphile

Post by Cortinaphile »

Well I'm picking up the block and bits on Saturday and I'm now excited! A little worried about driving the Cortie from Bristol to Harrow and back again in one day but it should be fine :?

The block is either a '72 or a '74 (tbc) and bored to 30 thou. I'm hoping it's a '72 as my car was first registered 29/11/71 so that would add a certain authenticity (one of the reasons for choosing an SBF over a Rover).

I've looked into the stroker idea and think that the extra costs involved would be too much... my budget is already unrealistically high! Besides, a 302 with performance parts should be fun enough at first and I can always go the stroker route at a later date. Thanks for all the info!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

Cortinaphile, pm sent.
THE SMOKING GNU

Cortinaphile

Post by Cortinaphile »

It begins! I have bought a 302 block, code D1OE 6015 AA, which means it's a 1971 (same year as the Cortina :D) from a Torino. It's bben bored out to 30 thou and there's a reground and balanced crank too.

Also picked up some Eagle I-beam conrods, KB flat top pistons, Comp Cams Xtreme Energy XE262H camshaft (does anyone know if this is a good cam to have?) and the other bits I need to build a short block motor.

The water pump housing and timing cover are from a 91 Thunderbird judging by the part numbers. Not sure if these are going to be too long but I hope not as they're in good nick.

If anyone has any info on that cam (I don't understand "degrees lift" and all that), I'd be really grateful. Also, can anyone suggest the best grease stuuf to line the cylinders with to stop any rusting? Thanks!

:rock

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

Hi mate,
any soft grease will do, but try not to use anything with Molybidium DiSulphide?? Its allright for cam break in at a push, but its not too good for letting bores wear in, and its a pig to get rid of,
Degrees lift, its easy for me but its hard to explain, imagine a lobe of a cam pointing straight up. draw a imaginary line thru the centre of the cam lobe upward, that is max lift at 0 degs if you rotate the cam 15 degs the height of the cam relative to the line has dropped, this would be X amount of lift at 15 degs
THE SMOKING GNU

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I can only see the XE262h as a hydrolic flat tappet pattern for a chevy, however as a chevy pattern it is a mild road flat tappet hydrolic cam, won't set the world alight but be good to live with and still deliver quite alot over standard. If it is the same as the chevy grind then it has extra duration on the exhaust lobe to compensate for the limited flow on the chevy exhaust port, you might want to use a higher ratio rocker on the inlet to make up for this.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

THE SMOKING GNU

Cortinaphile

Post by Cortinaphile »

ian.stewart wrote:http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... gory_Code=
hope the link works
Thanks for the link. I'd found this already but didn't understand what the figures in the spec meant! If anyone could translate it into English for me, that'd be great. :oops:

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Thanks Ian, couldn't find it in the main catalogue.
Yes it is the same as the chevy one.
Gross lift is lift at the valve with standard ratio rockers unless otherwise stated
Duration is normally tken in two ways, "advartised" in which case it is as the tappet just starts to lift ie the .006 figure and the "standard" figure at .05" lift (at the valve normally with a solid lifter) which you time the cam into.....
The best one to use to compare cams is the .05" timing as it is more of a constant lift across different types of cam (roller, mechanical, flat tappet, and hydrolic)
there are dozens of good explanations out on tinternet for what it all means and sone fair ones on the effects of changing the relevent peramiters, try the comp cams website and read their explanation, also the Isky website is good and Carcraft and Hodrod magazine website explanations are good.
have a read and ask some more and Ill tell you what I can
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

hi all, im going with a stroked 302, got the dart ally heads and forged crank,and will use forged pistons and h-beam rods, mine is a 1974 302 block and they are stronger than most blocks so ive been told, plus im having about 100 to 150 off gas with it, but it depends on how much you want to spend, but a 347 in a mk3 tina with an easy 400 bhp, sweet, :D rich

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
THE SMOKING GNU

J1MMY

Post by J1MMY »

Pardon the thread hijack, nice to see some BSC people on here (Ian I swear you are everywhere!) and yes I lurk here too. :oops: :lol:

Cortinaphile, the 302 you bought from Harrow, was it Bill's (Samsonite on BSC) old lump? He had some fine idea's in store for it if it was, remember chatting to him at the ace a couple of years ago about SBF's. Also been looking at 302's/351's for a long LONG term project but got confused about what 302 is good, what year(s) bad etc I am almost 100% on going 351 to keep it simple - or maybe I have just read more about them. Will keep reading up on how you are doing. 8-)

Was also interested to see the quoted figures of 3 - 5% on import duty (for some reason thought it was 25%!) and less than impressed that it's put on P & P too. robbing Barstewards. :evil:

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”