Mk1 Capri needs V8

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Raw

Mk1 Capri needs V8

Post by Raw »

Hello! This is my first post on this site, I was directed by the good people from www.capripower.co.uk.

I want to fit a Rover V8 to my Mk1 Capri and preferably a 4.6.

Since I'm in Ireland I don't know anyone with one of these conversions done but I have seen many in the UK but then again they all seem to be 3.5 V8 on carbs.

But I feel confident enough to tackle the electronics of the 4.6 but I am slightly cautious about having to cut/weld my car!

Has anyone experience in doing one of these conversations? Maybe photos? Are there conversion kits available?

I will more than lightly go with a T5 gearbox, so I need to get a bellhousing to suit...!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Below is photo of my car!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Tidy motor!

I know Jims on the wrong side of the border, but www.jrv8.co.uk is probably your closest source of bits & expertise!

When you are worrying about the electrics on a 4.6, are you thinking of keeping the GEMS or Thor engine management system from a Range Rover?

If you didn't do that, (I don't know if the timing cover would be too high to fit under the bonnet), but instead just built up a 4.6 block with SD1 bits & pieces, and fitted Megasquirt or something, then I can't see a problem.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Welcome... Nice looking car too. There's some V8 Capris on here so you should get some wise words from those boys,

cheers
Bill

Raw

Post by Raw »

Thanks Chris/Bill

I was speaking to Mike in Magnum Engineering and he told me about Jim but lucky me as I have friend who should be able to get all the required parts off, fingers crossed. Mike does a kit (£500/600) but I have to get a Borg Warner 34 Auto bellhousing and sump for him to modifying. Do you have any experience with Magnum and their kits :?:

I am thinking of keeping the original engine management system from a Range Rover, but if this will cause problem with fitment I may have to go down the road of a Carb.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by SD1 bits & pieces (presume distributor, coil etc). Is this the set up off an eariler 3.5 V8

As for the Megasquirt, Is a Holey 390 the daddy… :?:

I heard that about the 4.6 liners leak compression into the coolant and bang! I was thinking of getting the whole engine rebuilt anyway. What are the options of a Cam if I have the engine stripped, any suggestions?

Padraig

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

I have used Magnum and was very pleased with the work he did and the service provided.

Think you will have trouble sticking with GEMs from an engine management point of view as the ECU interfaces to another black box that controls many of the other features on the vechicle including the security system.

Believe it is possible for this to be overcome but its very expensive and probably just not worth considering. Not sure about the Thor ECU.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

There might be a GEMs unit that is standalone, i.e. doesn't need to speak to the transmission / body control module etc. Maybe one of the other applications of the engine, e.g. Morgan may have needed it. Worth investigating anyway.

My comments about the SD1 stuff was that the Range Rover pump / fan might be too tall for you, whereas the SD1 timing cover has the water pump and ancillaries much lower down. Of course you then end up with a worse oil pump, the necessity for a distributor to drive it, and a spacer needed for the end of the crankshaft.

Megasquirt is DIY EFi. Pretty common nowadays, a few 8 cylinder boys have done it.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

3.5 or 4.6 makes no odds as they are the same size and same mounting points. The original 4.6 front cover will fit fine in the Capri as at least one member has done it and probably more. As has been said Gems management is really a no no as it hooks into everything most of which you wont have. Vems, Emerald, DTS, Megasquirt are all management systems that would replace the Gems ECU. Some can directly replace it and work in exactly the same way if not better and some you would have to compromise slightly as they don't have the same functionality but will still work.

Alarm bells ring when you mention liners leaking and oh well I will re-build anyway. It isn't a case of a re-build, its a case of fitting new top hat liners at a cost of around £1000 and not every shop can do it. You might already know this and I have read you wrong of so just ignore me lol.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

My interim cover and pulley clears the panelling in the front of the engine bay more so than my sd1 pulley did. The sd1 pulley required mods tot he metal work whereas the newer style pulley wouldn't.

Less work that way! My engine is set a long way back though and the oil filter would never ever clear the anti roll bar so I had to use a remote filter kit.
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

In fact I'm selling all my rover conversion bits to fit (using an lt77 box) into a Capri. . . . . .
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

Raw

Post by Raw »

Thats for that I sent a PM to you about the conversaion.

----

I think I will go with the Megasquirt injection method, does anyone have a rough cost of the Megasquirt module?

Also what is the best ignition system to go with?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

If you want to go with the 4.6 stuff you will have to go with mappable wasted spark as a dizzy wont fit.

Can you solder or do you need the ECU pre-built?

Raw

V8

Post by Raw »

Being having a hard think about everything and I feel that I will have to change my plans slightly. This is now how I am thinking of proceeding so I'll see what ye think………?

Mk1 Capri 1972

Fitt 4.6 V8 Rover

Change inlet manifold to either an Edelbrock or Early 3.5V8 type running a carb (Holey or SU)

Ignition:
1: Modify 4.6 setup for Carbs….is this possible..? (without going driving me mad)
2: Fit standard dizzy from early 3.5V8 or Mallory or H&G..etc.

Please leave me have you comments as I'm a bit lost.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I would fit the 4.6, edelbrock, and use Megajolt + EDIS 8 for your ignition.
Keep the std. 4.6 timing cover.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Raw

V8

Post by Raw »

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I love it when a plan comes together!

Hopefully this will work out!