Rover 3.9 efi into carb fed Mercedes 190

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

lance1a

Rover 3.9 efi into carb fed Mercedes 190

Post by lance1a »

Hi....trying to find out what I need to complete the following swap.....3.9 twin plenum into 1989 Mercedes 190 that is currently a carb fed car. Either I can keep the manual box if I can find an adapter (not likely), use either a manual or auto box designed for the 3.9 v8....convert the V8 to carb fed either by Bike carbs (which I have done before on a four pot BMW E30) or twin 40's eg. Run the EFi on the V8 by gathering all the gubbins required to run the EFi........
Jeeze....I've already got headache....

Angryman.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

There was never a 3.9 twin plenum, so you would have to get the 3.5 twin plenum remapped to suit the larger engine.

Maybe that Merc 190 came with the ZF4HP22 'box. If so, you can fit the bellhousing / torque converter from a Range Rover Classic / P38 and it will mate right up to the engine.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Sell the twin plenum bits to fund the job. The only reason for it was on racing 3.5s. It was never used on later engines.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

lance1a

Post by lance1a »

Typically , I just sold a ZF 4/22 from one of my auto BMW's as they use the same box. But if I wanted to retain a manual setup I suppose it would be easier to just go with a LT77?
Angryman.

lance1a

Post by lance1a »

Does the bellhousing for the later 4.0 or 4.6L engines also fit the 3.9? Ta for the help guys......
Angryman.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Bolt pattern has not changed, so they will fit. Even a 3.5 box will work.

There are adapter plates for a lot of boxes around, so you should find something that fits the bill.
Cheers,
John

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

unstable load wrote:Bolt pattern has not changed, so they will fit. Even a 3.5 box will work.

There are adapter plates for a lot of boxes around, so you should find something that fits the bill.
Interesting. Is there a list anywhere of what adaptor plates you can buy off the shelf?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Be aware that 4x4 application bell housings and boxes are quite different from 2WD application housings and boxes.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Darkspeed wrote:Be aware that 4x4 application bell housings and boxes are quite different from 2WD application housings and boxes.
Yes. I'd hoped a 4HP would be easy to fit to my SD1. But the much longer bell housing for 4x4 installation fouled the bukhead. Sadly, the ambulance etc RWD boxes used the same 4x4 bellhousing, as plenty of space on them.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

DaveEFI wrote:
unstable load wrote:Bolt pattern has not changed, so they will fit. Even a 3.5 box will work.

Interesting. Is there a list anywhere of what adaptor plates you can buy off the shelf?
I don't know of a list per se. There are guys that have fitted various boxes to their cars over the years. I have a Jaguar 4 speed overdrive box in my P6 with a modified auto bellhousing and adapter plate, that same bellhousing had an LT77 before it died.
SOWEN is a member on here and he has done some modifications with different engines and boxes and adapters.

lr4x4.com forum has a CAD library of bolt hole patterns etc in their tools and fabrication section.

As for 4x4 bellhousings, I THINK the Range Rover one is smaller than the Land Rover one, but I haven't been under mine to check yet.
Cheers,
John

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

unstable load wrote: As for 4x4 bellhousings, I THINK the Range Rover one is smaller than the Land Rover one, but I haven't been under mine to check yet.
If you mean for the ZF4HP22 / 24, then no, there is only one.

For the LT77 or R380, there are lots of bellhousings to choose from.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”