Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build.

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

With the imminent installation of an S8 32V motor into my B5 A4 2.5 TDI Quattro, I will be making some changes to the engine.

I rattle-canned the timing belt and valve covers, as well as the intake manifold. It look3d good at the time, 4 years ago. But looking at the 40V BFM motor in my Pelican Blue car, it doesn't look too hot.

I am going to pull the timing belt covers, valve covers and the intake manifold, and send them off for paint. Like my Pelican Blue car, there will be some exterior colour matching.

Valve covers - Audi Panther Black Metallic.
Intake manifold - light grey, like my 40V.
Valve covers - Audi Java Green Metallic.

These will eventually be transferred to another motor I'm having built - providing the shop can do what I want.

I am junking the aircon compressor, as well as the power steering vane pump. I am going to run an electric power steering pump off a 2008 Volkswagen Passat.

My S8 32V engine as it currently stands:

Ignore the big covers, as I won't be running them. Besides the compressor and PAS vane pump, I'm losing the mechanical fan drive. So I'll end up with just the crank pulley and alternator, with the tensioner, a similar set-up to a B6 S4.

I will start on the harness to make it plug and play into my B5, once the engine is in the car, and I can get the length and routing.

2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update: 13th May, 2016.

I finally pulled the 2.5 V6 TDI motor from my 2000 B5 A4 Quattro. I actually pulled it on my driveway, as B5 420-R was on jack stands in front of my garage. It was fun pushing the stripped car back and forth, manoeuvring it into my garage once I replaced the alternator and power steering pump on the Pelican Blue car.

The 2.5 V6 TDI motor has gone on to live in another shell.

It was interesting to note the B5 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro has a strut in the 2000 model year, and the 2.8 V6 30V, despite being 5 months newer hasn't. The 2.8 got the strut brace in late 2000, early 2001. The 01E transmission also has the 6x130mm output flanges too, same as the European D2 S8 manual.

Next step will be to remove all the TDI sound proofing in the engine bay, and drill out the spot welds that hold the secondary firewall in place. The engine bay also needs a good degrease, in preparation for paint. I am also notching my spare V6 front subframe, to ease motor fitment and removal.

I have removed the wiring harness from the D2 32V S8 motor, stripped the timing covers off in preparation for dropping off at the paint shop. I will remove the valve covers for painting too, as well as the intake manifold. All front accessories have been removed - a/c compressor, pas pump and its bracket, as well as the original fan bearing. The only accessory the crank will drive will be the alternator.

Pictures...

The motor, just before the strip down commenced:

The stripdown continues:

The pull:

One lightweight B5:

Showing the OEM upper strut brace - I was surprised to find it there:

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

The D2 S8 4.2 V8 32V (AHC) motor being stripped down. Valve covers, timing belt covers and intake manifold will be sent to the paint shop. I will temporarily refit the coil packs, and give the motor a thorough wash, wire brushing any tarnished aluminium once it's all clean.

I wonder what all this weighs? Discarded accessories and bracket:

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update: 23rd May, 2016.

Juggling 2 projects is awesome. You get great motivation to complete 1, otherwise you either keep jumping on buses, or buy another car, which invariably turns into a project car itself.

I pulled my Santorin Blue B5 Quattro out of the garage, and began tearing into her. The interior sold on Saturday, to a guy who came down to buy the high pressure diesel pump (Bosch VP44).

I stripped out the carpet, centre console, parcel shelf, luggage compartment trim, roof lining and all the pillar trims. I'll be removing the door trims, and any harness that won't be useful. I'll have to remove the dash and the entire interior harness anyway, the cage is going to be a welded in custom job, and of course the whole interior (cage included) will need painting in the car's new colour.

The engine bay will be painted at the same time, so after removing the secondary firewall, I'm degreasing, doing any drilling and grinding required. The battery will be moved to the luggage compartment, the ABS unit may move to the original battery location, but I'm not sure yet. It all depends on how much heat will be concentrated in the scuttle area.

All the aircon components in the engine bay are gone. Halfway through drilling out the spot welds to get rid of the false firewall, the drill bit broke, so I need to get a replacement.

Without further ado, pictures!

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Gutting the interior:

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Lastly:

The heart of this car, a '98 S8 4.2 V8 32V (AHC) being stripped down:

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

So you are taking out the secondary bulkhead - won't that make the car a bit floppy?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

ChrisJC wrote:So you are taking out the secondary bulkhead - won't that make the car a bit floppy?

Chris.
It wouldn't make the car floppy. In addition, the car is having a cage welded in.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Limited radiator and puller fan space is not so much an issue with a street car. You could get away with a pair of 12" pushers if aircon isn't being retained, or twin 10" units if they are mounted on the condenser. You could also supplement this with whatever size puller fan you can fit between the radiator and motor.

With a car that will share street duties with track days and dragging, running a stock, high-revving S8 motor in naturally-aspirated form, temperatures are going to be pretty high. It's not so much the coolant, it's more the engine bay temperature. Pusher fans do cool the radiator and coolant, but they also serve to obscure the radiator core from the ram effect achieved under normal driving conditions (where the fans shouldn't really be needed).

The plan with this build is to have the 4.2 V8 32V boosted, so naturally, it will increase engine bay temps. I plan to run as large a radiator as possible in the rear of the car, with a cold air intake in the spare wheel well area designed to feed fresh air to the core. The advantages of this arrangement are I am not limited in the radiator and fan/s sizes. I can also run a single 16" fan up front, to cool the engine bay, with rear extractors built into the rear of the hood to get rid of the hot air.

More intercooler space too for a single fat snail.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”