V8 engine change / notifying DVLA

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

V8 engine change / notifying DVLA

Post by v8250 »

Guys, I'm hoping someone can advise here. I'm at the point where I need to notify DVLA that I've changed the engine in the MG from the trusty old 1800cc to the TVR/Rover V8. Having read their current requirements it looks like this might be difficult as this has been completed by me. They require the following...

>>2. What evidence to give
You might need to give DVLA evidence or written confirmation of the changes to your vehicle.

Engine number or cylinder capacity (cc)
You’ll need to provide either:

a receipt for the replacement engine
written evidence from the manufacturer
an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)
Fuel type
You’ll need to provide evidence if:

your existing engine is converted – the confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that did the work
a new engine is fitted – provide the receipt as confirmation<<

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-detai ... ce-to-give

Any/all advice greatly received.

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

What year is the car? If it's tax exempt you don't need to provide anything at all, but DVLA often aren't aware of their own rules. If it's not then a receipt for the engine will do, or a copy of the V5 that the engine came from if you owned the car. Note that they say "either" in their requirements, not "all".

Stu E
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Stu E »

I changed the engine in my Pilgrim Sumo, from a Rover 3.5 to a 4.6 earlier this year. All I did was fill out the changes on the V5, and get a written report from a garage saying the installation safe.
My Tax and emissions don't come into question as it's a pre SVA kit car.

HTH Stu

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

harvey wrote:What year is the car? If it's tax exempt you don't need to provide anything at all, but DVLA often aren't aware of their own rules. If it's not then a receipt for the engine will do, or a copy of the V5 that the engine came from if you owned the car. Note that they say "either" in their requirements, not "all".
thanks harvey, the car's not quite tax exempt as was manufactured in sept 1977. dvla regs state a receipt must be on headed paper from a garage; i bought the engine from a close friend who'd bought the engine from the original chimaera owner.

dval do state 'written confirmation from the engine manufacturer showing engine number and size', but as we know rover nor tvr exist in a way to provide this.

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

v8250 wrote:
dvla regs state a receipt must be on headed paper from a garage;
If you read what they've written, that's only the case if the conversion was done before you bought the car.
v8250 wrote:i bought the engine from a close friend who'd bought the engine from the original chimaera owner.
I'm sure loads of people buy and fit engines bought from mates, and a receipt from them should be adequate.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

I did one on a cobra a few months back through a mates garage, did the headed note paper for him and said it was done in a safe and satisfactory manner. I also added the engine number. As far as I'm aware, there more interested in cars that will change taxation class, I.E. to save on excise duty, it came back in a few days, mind you he's 2 minutes from there front door ! john
So thats where it went !

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

I went from a 3.5 to a 4.3 V8 in my Fury. The 4.3 came from a private seller on here. I filled in the bits on the V5 and sent it in with a hand written receipt which stated the car the engine originally came from and I got the updated V5 back shortly after.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

When I did mine three years ago from 3.9 > 5.0 I just filled in the V5 changes. I do have a receipt but I'm sure I did not send it off.

There is nothing wrong about a friend selling you an engine. A receipt from him should suffice as if they ever follow it up he can vouch for the sale. It's irrelevant what the price was, by the way.

They're only concerned with changes to taxation class and possibly a stolen engine.

Good luck.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

Gents, thanks for all your good help here. Interestingly, I spoke to my buddy who has kept all the original sale docks from when he bought the engine from the TVR owner. I thought the engine was from a Chimaera, in fact it was from a 1992 Griffith...though at that stage it was still only the standard 4.0[3.9] unit. The Griffith has been been converted to 5.0ltr and having checked the DVLA website is still wearing its original registration number. Off now to post the necessary...

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Try and give them as much info as possible.

They sent me this first try :x

302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”