1984 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser to V8 Conversion Help.....

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

T5 is very common for manual trans US cars, or a variant of the T5 was fitted to Sierra Cosworth, some TVR's etc.

But for your needs you'd be best sourcing a US T5 as would be fitted to an engine like yours, including bellhousing etc.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

MT75 is a pain to fit, you will need an adaptor plate and a one off flywheel.

Keep an eye out for a Borg Warner or Tremec T5

Cosworth ones seem to go for silly money now though :!:

You will need to know the year of your engine to find out what flywheel imbalance is needed - older ones are 28oz and newer ones are 50oz
302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

A brand spanking new T5 from the US, which will have same input shaft and BH bolt patterns for any US parts you wanted to use it with, really isnt that expensive.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/f ... /overview/

Or if you could source a good Toyota Supra box, there are places who will sell bellhousing/clutch kits for them ad would be a good option.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

JonnyEnglish

Post by JonnyEnglish »

Well guys the good news is I now own a ford 302 v8! Paid a deposit and picking it up soon! Its one that was removed from a car on gas monkey garage fast and loud tv show! Anyway it come with a c4 autobox is this worth using do you think (not sure I want auto nut the guy said its better on v8's?) he also said for an extra £150 he will give me a c6? Anyway Il post a pic of the engine !

Would the Toyota work do you think? Would it be hard?

JonnyEnglish

Post by JonnyEnglish »

Pic of engine.....

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

JonnyEnglish wrote:Well guys the good news is I now own a ford 302 v8! Paid a deposit and picking it up soon! Its one that was removed from a car on gas monkey garage fast and loud tv show! Anyway it come with a c4 autobox is this worth using do you think (not sure I want auto nut the guy said its better on v8's?) he also said for an extra £150 he will give me a c6? Anyway Il post a pic of the engine !

Would the Toyota work do you think? Would it be hard?
Auto or manual is really personal preference. Each have good points and bad.

For a lazy cruiser or indeed drag race, auto is usually better if it's a well sorted setup.

Would Toyota work in what respect ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

JonnyEnglish wrote:Anyway it come with a c4 autobox is this worth using do you think (not sure I want auto nut the guy said its better on v8's?) he also said for an extra £150 he will give me a c6?
Like stevieturbo says, manual or auto said, it's all preference.
If you like autos, then you need to consider the controls of the box. Lots of auto boxes these days have electronic controls via ECU and these can be really difficult to set up, and conversion to mechanical valving can be pricy, so if the auto pops your sail and the C6 is easily installable in the car without being an electronics expert, then go for it.
Cheers,
John

JonnyEnglish

Post by JonnyEnglish »

Hmm thanks for your help guys i think the manual is calling me more so than the auto! just gotta try and find one now!

Crockpot

Post by Crockpot »

The C6 is huge and brutally heavy. A C4 will be far better and more than strong enough.

JonnyEnglish

Post by JonnyEnglish »

Picking up the engine next week!! looking at utlising the C4 now and also thinking about a stroker kit? what you guys think of these? whilst the engine is being rebuilt what should i do performance wise to it i.e. hi-lift cams, crank etc.?

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”