Approx Engine Sizes

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Jamesb

Approx Engine Sizes

Post by Jamesb »

Apologies if in wrong section Interested if anyone can provide a comparison between the Rover, Lexus (400) and BMW (m60) engines - Going into a Ford Popular so concerned the later 2 might be two large

thanks

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Lexus

Rover V8

No idea on the BMW.

But whilst the Lexus is a very compact engine overall, the multivalve heads add a lot of size in the upper regions

Lexus stuff is a real bargain too
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Jamesb

Post by Jamesb »

Stevie

thanks for the - most likely would like the lexus engine so this is spot on

James

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I've gone Lexus for my Skyline. The bottom end isn't so big, once you removed the air con pump and relocate the oil filter, but the top end is bloody huge due to twin cams per bank. Inlet manifold isn't massively high either.

Only problem with them, is that they never came with a manual transmission, and it's not cheap to convert. There are places in Auz/Nz and the US that all do conversion kits. Most are based on W58/R154 gearboxes, but they aren't cheap, and not as strong as everyone thinks. Al lot of the kits use redrilled flywheels from other Toyotas, wouldn't recommend that.

I've found a place in the UK that does a conversion kit for BMW getrag boxes, which are cheap as chips (150-200 quid) and strong as an ox. I've been talking to them recently and looking to get a kit pretty soon. Kit includes adapter plate, custom flywheel and fitting bolts. You then need to buy a BMW clutch and gearbox on top, so total cost is about £1500. You could do it yourself but you'd have to know what you're doing.

And then there is the electrics. 1UZFE use a lot! I bought a '91 LS400 and it's like an aircraft carrier ffs! You can get them running relatively easily apparently, and the place I'm looking at the gearbox kit for will rewire the ECU/loom for £350. I have found info on the web about it but not sure how accurate it is. The ignition is not simple on them either.

You could go standalone ECU, but even a DIY megasquirt kit will be upwards of a grand if you're doing the ignition as well. Not simple. I've building from a bare shell, so will be doing the electrics as simple as possible. ECU/Engine wired up to run, then simple MOT legal electrics (lights, indicators etc), separate fuel pump loom. Tough part is going to be getting the dash to run, or maybe fit a digital dash.

The early engines have the thicker rods and are therefore strongest. All 1UZFE take forced induction well, in fact the standard ECU can take up to 8psi boost with a FPR. Later engines have slightly more power, but also complex vvti heads etc. Depends what you want to do long term.

Let me know if you have any other queries.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Given how cheap the engines are to start with though, it still makes for a very cheap powertrain even after a manual conversion.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Is there not an easier option for the ignition and MS like using wasted spark?
That would allow the use of the cheaper MS2.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

It should be pretty easy to do a basic fuel/spark install

It's just an engine so really wont matter what type of engine. It still has 8 cylinders, 8 injectors etc.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

DaveEFI wrote:Is there not an easier option for the ignition and MS like using wasted spark?
That would allow the use of the cheaper MS2.
Wasted spark is the way to go. Remember the engines have two dizzys and two cam sensors, plus crank sensor. So you can run semi-sequentially. You could use the standard route of EDIS8 and coil packs etc. But that is extra cost on top. And not far from just replacing what is already there.

Personally, if I was doing it I'd use some VAG Coil on Plugs and drive them directly using wasted spark. I know a guy running 800bhp+ on his turbo 1UZFE with these. Standalone ECU obviously.

Crank is 12+1 cam signal, so you can run semi-sequential fuel injection as well. Wire fuelling and ignition the same.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
A = 1+6
B = 8+5
C = 4+7
D = 3+2

MS2 is £500 to run like this (only has 4 injector drivers/spark outputs though so everything has to be paired). MS3 with MS3X is a little over £600 and a lot more functions. It's a no brainer really, MS3 is the way to go for the sake of an extra ton, plus you have the option of going fully sequential later on down the line, would need to modify cam/crank signal to 24+1. Got all that info from our mate Phil at extraefi.
Last edited by chodjinn on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

MS2 has only two injector drivers. But each can handle 4+ injectors so fine for batch injection. It only has one high current ignition driver. But can be modified to four. Or use an EDIS driver. Or COP.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

DaveEFI wrote:MS2 has only two injector drivers. But each can handle 4+ injectors so fine for batch injection. It only has one high current ignition driver. But can be modified to four. Or use an EDIS driver. Or COP.
Which is what I said.

Info was copied verbatum from emails between myself and Phil.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Point I was sort of trying to make is that for non sequential an MS2 will be fine. Especially with EDIS which is probably the simplest option.

But if you wish to have the option to go sequential at a later date obviously MS3 is a better bet.

It all depends on how deep your pockets are. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Of course if you buy a complete donor car as many do, you can stripdown the wiring and use the OEM ecu.

I f***** hate wiring !! lol It can be a nightmare stripping looms down.

But it's a popular engine, and lots of people do it, so might not be that bad.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I love making up looms. ;-) But it is best to have the correct crimp tools - and some ain't cheap. If only one did everything.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

DaveEFI wrote:I love making up looms. ;-) But it is best to have the correct crimp tools - and some ain't cheap. If only one did everything.
Making a new simple loom isnt a big deal.

I mean trying to stripdown an OEM loom for use elsewhere !! They're seriously overloaded.

Even worse if you've no information about wiring, colours etc

Some people have the patience for it...I have little ! lol
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

stevieturbo wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:I love making up looms. ;-) But it is best to have the correct crimp tools - and some ain't cheap. If only one did everything.
Making a new simple loom isnt a big deal.

I mean trying to stripdown an OEM loom for use elsewhere !! They're seriously overloaded.

Even worse if you've no information about wiring, colours etc

Some people have the patience for it...I have little ! lol
Well mate I neither have the patience or the knowledge for it, elecrics are a black art to me, but in order to save money I'm damn well gonna give it a try!

I really want to use the standard dash, as it would save me a small fortune. And every penny counts! I'm already £7k into my build!

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”